Anyone owned a 4.7L Jeep WJ?

Black1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L 2WD. I was just wondering if anyone here has one or has had one... and if so, what I need to look out for. :dontknow: :eek: It's pretty clean (Black/Black, of course) and loaded. It's 2WD which is rare everywhere else but the south and Cali (for obvious reasons). It's got 60,000 miles on it, so I was curious about the motor/trans/rear.

.... Should be able to pick it up for $6800 (out the door). It will give us something to drive while we look for a new car for Sarah (RX-8 has got to go). I do want to put some replica SRT8 wheels on it, and a exhaust. Other than that, I'll leave it alone. :eek: I think the WJ is BY FAR the best looking GC body style. And the SRT8 wheels look way better on it than the new jeeps (IMO)... see the pics below (not actual one I'm looking at... this one is a REAL clean ride owned by one of the guys on the Street Jeep Forum :rock: ).

Attachments

• CIMG2882.jpg
    CIMG2882.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 30,715
  • CIMG2860.jpg
    CIMG2860.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 10,999
  • CIMG4621.jpg
    CIMG4621.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 23,640
I've had a couple of trucks with the 4.7 engine. It's a good reliable, low maintenance engine.

Our 2004 Durango has the 4.7 have over 91,000 miles so far and not one bit of trouble.

I had a 4.7 H.O. in my Grand Cherokee Overland Edition, and it was a great motor. Also had a 4.7 in a quad cab Dakota, only problem i ever had was a bad crank sensor and power steering pump.

I have the GC Overlandwith the 4.7HO, and full time AWD. It also has a Magnaflo...it has about 79k on it..I bought it with about 60k on it 2 years ago..The only issue I had so far was the TPS..The stock rims on mine are chromed, but the inside chrome is peeled off due to a combination of poor maint by previous owner, brake dust, road salt and just an all around crappy factory chrome job.. It runs pretty good, and its comfortable. I drive about 60mi round trip to work, and get about 18mpg..Around town its alittle worse..Other than the rims, which I need to replace due to corrosion, (anyone have anything that will fit?) the Tire pressure sensors have crapped out, which gives you a warning on the overhead display..annoying..6800.00 is an ok price,,

FastSRT19 said:
I had a 4.7 H.O. in my Grand Cherokee Overland Edition, and it was a great motor. Also had a 4.7 in a quad cab Dakota, only problem i ever had was a bad crank sensor and power steering pump.

Heeyyy..what color?..lol..I wonder if I bought your old GC?...lol

Riff62 said:
I have the GC Overlandwith the 4.7HO, and full time AWD. It also has a Magnaflo...it has about 79k on it..I bought it with about 60k on it 2 years ago..The only issue I had so far was the TPS..The stock rims on mine are chromed, but the inside chrome is peeled off due to a combination of poor maint by previous owner, brake dust, road salt and just an all around crappy factory chrome job.. It runs pretty good, and its comfortable. I drive about 60mi round trip to work, and get about 18mpg..Around town its alittle worse..Other than the rims, which I need to replace due to corrosion, (anyone have anything that will fit?) the Tire pressure sensors have crapped out, which gives you a warning on the overhead display..annoying..6800.00 is an ok price,,

The sensors are about $68 each... I've heard they are a PITA. :eek: Luckily, the one I'm looking at doesn't have them. :rock:

Good motor, just keep em tuned up. The trans are good just need servicing. The only real common problem with the wj is the rear axle seal just love to leak. :eek:

GADodgetech said:
Good motor, just keep em tuned up. The trans are good just need servicing. The only real common problem with the wj is the rear axle seal just love to leak. :eek:

Trans fluid looked like coffee. :eek: But, it still shifts good, and no strange noises... so a trans flush is in it's future. Oil didn't look too bad, no strange smells... But, I think I'll service the diff and flush the coolant as well. Along with a oil change, plugs, wires, and a K&N drop-in air filter. ;)

Black1 said:
Trans fluid looked like coffee. :eek: But, it still shifts good, and no strange noises... so a trans flush is in it's future. Oil didn't look too bad, no strange smells... But, I think I'll service the diff and flush the coolant as well. Along with a oil change, plugs, wires, and a K&N drop-in air filter. ;)
Just be sure to replace the two trans filters while your there, sound like a good plan. :)

GADodgetech said:
Just be sure to replace the two trans filters while your there, sound like a good plan. :)

Two? :confused: :dontknow: Does it have one in the pan, and one somewhere else? Or are they both under the main pan? :eek:

Black1 said:
Two? :confused: :dontknow: Does it have one in the pan, and one somewhere else? Or are they both under the main pan? :eek:
If im not mistaken, There is one that is the screw in type (like a regular oil filter) and there is the "flat style" that sits flush with the valve body held in by screws. They are both under the pan. Not sure if the trans you have is the same as the one I am thinking of, but im about 90% sure. :) :eek:

GADodgetech said:
If im not mistaken, There is one that is the screw in type (like a regular oil filter) and there is the "flat style" that sits flush with the valve body held in by screws. They are both under the pan. Not sure if the trans you have is the same as the one I am thinking of, but im about 90% sure. :) :eek:

AH! I see what your talking about.... yes, there is a "Primary" filter and a "Trans Cooler Return" filter. :rock: Thanks for the heads-up! :congrats:

I've been trolling through this site:

www.wjjeeps.com

Talk about a TON of info! :eek:

Black1 said:
The sensors are about $68 each... I've heard they are a PITA. :eek: Luckily, the one I'm looking at doesn't have them. :rock:

TPS was 34.00 at parts store, and replaced in the parking lot in about 5 mins..2 Torx screws and an o-ring..
Tire pressue monitors wont be going back in when I replace the wheels..I think I can disable the warning...worst comes to worst, I can just put a piece of tape over the overhead display..redneck engineering..:D
I did a bit of searching when I was diagnosing the TPS problem..turns out the crank position sensor was the most prevalent issue with the motor..

FastSRT19 said:
Mine was silver! I loved that Jeep! I miss the heated seats.

Mine is charcoal grey..lol...The heated seats do work well dont they?..lol

Riff62 said:
Mine is charcoal grey..lol...The heated seats do work well dont they?..lol
Yes they do! :p I am glad it was not my Jeep you ended up with. It had about 16k in damage from a rear end hit...damn cell phone usin' non-drivers!

jake...

we've had our 02 limited awd for over 4 years, and it's been a great car...

usually can get around 18 mpg in the city, and about the same on the highway...loaded down...or empty;)

has 110k ish on her now......

had some issues with the heater core last year (which i thought they supposedly fixed from the previous 95 we had...but didn't)...started leaking antifreeze in the car:eek: ... also the sunroof track...check it for damage to the wind baffle...if it breaks, you have to replace the whole track system...

if it's the 2wd, then you don't have to worry about the front diff or the transfer case...sometimes when (if) the abs sensors go bad, when you pull into parking spaces, or make sharp turns, it kinda...waddles into place and screeches the tires...had that problem on the old one, but this one's been good...

change the tweeter speakers in the dash...they suck...the rest is fine...;)

i like em...seems to be pretty reliable, and i like the looks as well...

p.s. ... if you develop a certain..."squeak" from the front driver's side of the car...for a fee...i will tell you what it is so you don't drive it off a bridge:D

I think NBT has one.

i got a salvage yard,in my opion the 4.7 mtrs are junk.every day they are on the hot line every body needs one out here. i get 1000.00 to 1200.00 for them, and they sell as fast as i get them. but then thats just my opion.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back