anything less than 93 octane?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone dared to put, or accidentally put any gas with octane less than 93 in their truck? what are the affects if any to the engine?

I've been running 91 since I bought my truck a few weeks ago. 91 is the highest octane at most stations out here. If they had 93 I would run that instead. So far so good.

The higher the elevation where you live the lower the octane rating needed. When I lived in CO 89 was the highest we could get.

alexspop said:
The higher the elevation where you live the lower the octane rating needed. When I lived in CO 89 was the highest we could get.
I never knew that, but it makes a ton of sense. Since the oxygen is so much thinner at elevation. Less air means less fuel/air mix. You learn something new everyday. :D

Well, in low elevation Houston, you need 93. I tried to get away with running less when I first bought mine... You know... To save a few nickles. At or around the first 9k miles one of the cats became stopped up (under warranty thak goodness). Well, after it was repaired and receiving the proper reaction from this forum:pcguru: :dontknow: I never did... :embarassed: I never did THAT again.

Last edited:
I gotta hold exception to this. If you can increase the hp 40-50 to the wheels with a PCM or programmer that mostly advances the timing and run 93 oct. Then the stock truck doesn't need high test. Use good gas, shell, cheveron...... and if you hear detonation at 87, toss some 89 in it... I never heard any detonation.

Now my 6.0 company truck, someone put a programmer in it before they got canned and it pings on 89.. so i have to put 93 in it.

Stick with high octane in the '04 models always... They do not have knock sensors! Just '05 and '06 models do, but they too should be ran on at least 91 octane nonetheless.

I'm have a custom tune for 93 gas but the best here in Vegas is 91 at 3000 ft and will only have 90 available in Clovis, NM at 4200ft. I should ask Sean but about the altitude but what is your guys experience. Should I run the 93 tune or Sean's mid or low tune?

tia,
Jim

spdrcrj said:
I'm have a custom tune for 93 gas but the best here in Vegas is 91 at 3000 ft and will only have 90 available in Clovis, NM at 4200ft. I should ask Sean but about the altitude but what is your guys experience. Should I run the 93 tune or Sean's mid or low tune?

tia,
Jim

You should be fine with the 93 tune, you will notice a drop in power and the exhaust note will sound slightly different at elevation. I would install a wideband if you haven't already to keep an eye on the air/fuel ratio.

Last edited:
kickinassrt-10 said:
I live in Florida so it's either 89 or 93...I think I'll just stay with high test.

At sea level 93 would be the wise choice.:rock:

Higher octane gas actually has less BTUs (energy measure) per gallon than low octane....if the motor is not designed to run on high octane you are actually loosing some power....our trucks are designed to run 91 from the factory.......I would not use any less than 91 no matter how well it runs....detonation can be hard to hear sometimes...

TNVIPER said:
Higher octane gas actually has less BTUs (energy measure) per gallon than low octane....if the motor is not designed to run on high octane you are actually loosing some power....our trucks are designed to run 91 from the factory.......I would not use any less than 91 no matter how well it runs....detonation can be hard to hear sometimes...

That used to be true, but not so much anymore. It more so depends on the gasoline and the crude it is refined from. Some 93 has more BTUs/gallon than 91. Varco Products makes racing fuel at high octane that has more BTUs/gallon than pump gas.

The reason you used to lose power from running 93 octane on an old, low-compression motor from the 70's that was designed to run on 87 was more from the slower burning rate of the high octane fuels of that era than from the BTU content. Now days, the high octane and most of the racing fuels typically are formulated to maintain a faster burn rate so that they do not incurr a power penalty on lower compression motors.

Plus, modern wedge shaped combustion chambers promote fast burn rates on all types of fuels and have greatly increased the power output of motors on both low and high octane fuels..

WOT said:
That used to be true, but not so much anymore. It more so depends on the gasoline and the crude it is refined from. Some 93 has more BTUs/gallon than 91. Varco Products makes racing fuel at high octane that has more BTUs/gallon than pump gas.

The reason you used to lose power from running 93 octane on an old, low-compression motor from the 70's that was designed to run on 87 was more from the slower burning rate of the high octane fuels of that era than from the BTU content. Now days, the high octane and most of the racing fuels typically are formulated to maintain a faster burn rate so that they do not incurr a power penalty on lower compression motors.

Plus, modern wedge shaped combustion chambers promote fast burn rates on all types of fuels and have greatly increased the power output of motors on both low and high octane fuels..

I havent seen anything about that except for racing fuel.......and Dodge has this in the Charger owner manual under recommended fuel..

The 3.5L and 5.7L engines are designed to

meet all emissions regulations and provide
satisfactory fuel economy and performance
when using high-quality unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating of 87 to 89.
The manufacturer recommends the use of
89-octane for optimum performance. The routine use of
premium gasoline is not recommended. The use of
premium gasoline will provide no benefit over highquality
regular gasoline or mid-grade gasoline and in
some circumstances may result in poorer performance.

Last edited:
Don't know anything about the refining process or additives for the different grades. I was taught that the higher octane was to prevent the fuel from combusting too soon under the increased pressure in a higher compression engine. Of course air quality and valve timing plays a big part also.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back