Automatic clutch band adjustment

Kopack_05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing a trans fluid change and trying to get all the info needed to adjust the clutch bands. After searching this site and other sites concerning the 48Re trans I have found some conflicting information. In some of the other diesel sites they list the front band adjustment to be torqued to the 72 inch pounds and to back off 1 and 3/4 turns, but note, this is for a diesel application and secondly state that for a v10 the back off adjustment should only be 1 and a 1/2 turns. I found this on a few different sites. I'm just trying to get the correct information so that I can do this correctly.!!

first step, remove automatic transmission. Next, install manual in it's place.

You're welcome. :D

Rub it in,,when the auto trans is toasted,,I will not hesitate to do the conversion,but until then I'll play with this one

Shorty
I don't think they need to be adjusted either. I just know the trans has never been serviced. So I want to change the fluid and filter and do the adjustments as if I had taken it to the dealer. Do you change the fluid and filter periodically?

FYI I called the dealer for a price and they came back with $230. Seemed like a reasonable price. I also called a trans shop and they gave me a price of $790. First time the dealer was ever lower than a regular shop. I called the dealer a second time just to make sure of the price. The dealer also told me that for that make of transmission, dodge does not recommend flushing the system with a machine.

I had my bands adjusted last month, $95 but didn't include a filter change. 72 in/lbs. and 1 1/2 is what I was told by them and the he said the front band needed adjustment but the reverse band was fine. The shop that quoted you $790 was trying to rape you !!!

Kopack 05. I too have the auto, but like Shorty I haven't touched the bands. I understand why you want to check them out. Give this thread some time & someone that has adjusted the bands will get on here & help you out. Good Luck.

Shorty
I don't think they need to be adjusted either. I just know the trans has never been serviced. So I want to change the fluid and filter and do the adjustments as if I had taken it to the dealer. Do you change the fluid and filter periodically?

Not yet. It smells good, look good so not sure the reason to change the fluid. VENOMOUS1 has not recommended I do anything as it is shifting perfectly. :dontknow:

Shorty

Not yet. It smells good, look good so not sure the reason to change the fluid. VENOMOUS1 has not recommended I do anything as it is shifting perfectly. :dontknow:

I might add that 95% of my driving is relative high speed on the highway. If I raced of drove strictly in town the bands may have needed adjusting and the fluid changed. :dontknow: Relative high speed = 65 to 95.

Jimmy Ling of the old LTV originated the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and that seems to apply to my tranny.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back