AUTOMATIC VIPER ANNOUNCED

There's a reason why I'm doing a 6 speed conversion on my truck, and that's because it's the way it should have come out of the assembly line to begin with. But now I have to spend a lot more money than it would have cost to have it made this way from the get go. Just so I can drive it the way it was meant to be driven.

I really don't want to say this (and i sure as hell dont like it)but I am starting to think an automatic may be the only thing to save VIPER. I don't like the idea at all but the fact of the matter is Sergio isn't going to build a car that they sell less than 1000 a year. I understand it's a halo car but FCA is selling cars right now and a halo isn't really necessary. Not to mention the current architecture is dated and can't really be taken into current day (supercar) territory.

Last edited:
from a performance standpoint - when the porsche gt3 decides autos are so much better that the quit putting manuals in the car - you know the manual is going by the wayside.

unless you can shift in 60-100milliseconds, these DCT transmissions are fantastic.

bmw makes a killer DCT - porsche's PDK and audi's i forget what they call it... yeah - they're REAL effing good. (and that's using attainable vehicles as examples - let's not talk about koenigsegg, pagani, ferrari, etc.)

while you eliminate the 3rd pedal flapping paddles at the racetrack is seriously fun, too - and i say this from experience, not just because i read it in motor trend.

i really do like them - would i buy a car with a DCT over a manual? absolutely.

would i buy a viper with an auto? absolutely NOT.

When I win the Lotto tonight I will own one of each. Maybe one of each in every color. :D:D:D

With all the available electronic bull shit on new cars peeps are forgetting how to drive.

With all the available electronic bull shit on new cars peeps are forgetting how to drive.

Not forgetting, they have never learned how to drive. Never did I think the day would come where I would have to ask people if they knew how to drive a stick.

Not forgetting, they have never learned how to drive. Never did I think the day would come where I would have to ask people if they knew how to drive a stick.

Im sure a staggering number answer no.

That's my favorite thing about the viper. They don't even offer a auto. The vettes auto is sweet but I like salty.

I really don't want to say this (and i sure as hell dont like it)but I am starting to think an automatic may be the only thing to save VIPER. I don't like the idea at all but the fact of the matter is Sergio isn't going to build a car that they sell less than 1000 a year. I understand it's a halo car but FCA is selling cars right now and a halo isn't really necessary. Not to mention the current architecture is dated and can't really be taken into current day (supercar) territory.

I agree with you Paul, the market is shifting and unfortunately it's shifting to people who can't / don't want to drive a manual transmission car. BMW said years ago they would never put the M badge on an SUV, that didn't last long. They made the changes needed to remain profitable and that's what they will have to do with the Viper.

from a performance standpoint - when the porsche gt3 decides autos are so much better that the quit putting manuals in the car - you know the manual is going by the wayside.

unless you can shift in 60-100milliseconds, these DCT transmissions are fantastic.

bmw makes a killer DCT - porsche's PDK and audi's i forget what they call it... yeah - they're REAL effing good. (and that's using attainable vehicles as examples - let's not talk about koenigsegg, pagani, ferrari, etc.)

while you eliminate the 3rd pedal flapping paddles at the racetrack is seriously fun, too - and i say this from experience, not just because i read it in motor trend.

i really do like them - would i buy a car with a DCT over a manual? absolutely.

would i buy a viper with an auto? absolutely NOT.

This comment is spot on. GM also claims that their 8L90 shifts quicker than Porsche's PDK, the writing is on the wall for manual transmissions....the new auto is just that good. !!!

With the throttle blips and the way thoes autos operate its impossible to match the quick shifting and 2-3 extra speeds... I hate the idea, it goes against everything VIPER is about. If an auto option keeps the car alive and I can still get a 6 speed....I'M GAME!!

Last edited:
With the throttle blips and the way thoes autos operate its impossible to match the quick shifting and 2-3 extra speeds... I hate the idea, it goes against everything VIPER is about. If an auto option keeps the car alive and I can still get a 6 speed....I'M GAME!!

The only thing that will change is having to look in the window to verify transmission type, then feeling your heart sink when you see it's an automatic.

Emotional roller coaster of: WOW a viper :drool: Oh it's an automatic :(

The only thing that will change is having to look in the window to verify transmission type, then feeling your heart sink when you see it's an automatic.

Emotional roller coaster of: WOW a viper :drool: Oh it's an automatic :(

I agree. It's like running into your ex who still looks as hot as you remember her from far away. Then when you meet up close you wish you never had unless you were drunk. I mean really drunk.

BMW said years ago they would never put the M badge on an SUV, that didn't last long. They made the changes needed to remain profitable and that's what they will have to do with the Viper.

they also said "no automatic car will wear an M badge" - and you see how that worked out... and that was over 10 years ago... granted they kinda sucked, but going from the SMG/SMG2 to the DCT completely changed the car, IMO.

ok, i'm starting to sound like a fanboy, aren't i? :D

they also said "no automatic car will wear an M badge" - and you see how that worked out... and that was over 10 years ago... granted they kinda sucked, but going from the SMG/SMG2 to the DCT completely changed the car, IMO.

ok, i'm starting to sound like a fanboy, aren't i? :D

No. Just a little bit more gay

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back