B&M noisy, try this fix!

RAMviperIFFIC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, no pictures = sucky thread. My truck is getting a new crank, so now I spend my time on the forum instead of driving and wrenching.

I installed a B&M short throw a couple months ago. Here is my take on where some of the "noise" may be coming from;

The B&M is adjustable height, I mounted the lever in the lowest position, which leaves a rather lengthy section of aluminum lever in contact with the steel lower portion which does not have a fastener making the connection over the span. Remember that the two bolts holding the two pieces together are about 3/4 inches center to center. I ended up drilling and tapping an additional 2 holes in the stainless lower section 1-1/2" and 2-1/4" lower than the existing lower threaded hole. Not only does this allow me even greater adjustability, but I now can put 3 or 4 fasteners in (depending on height adjustment) and it makes for a really solid connection. I will post some pictures in the near future.

Secondly, even with the B&M, which has stronger self-centering springs, I would still miss the 2-3 shift when rushing the shift. I figured I was hitting somewhere between the 3rd and 5th gear "gate" and it just stops dead. I ended up adding about .100 inches preload to the self-centering springs and now I haven't missed the 2-3 shift yet. These were "free" fixes for me since I had the necessary tools/parts to complete the modifications. Take note that with the increased pre-load on the centering springs, it is noticable in the increased amount of effort required to complete the 5-6 shift as it really wants to go from 5 to 4.

Jon (withdrawl is setting in already....the darn minivan loaner is 'el boring):(

I cured some of my woes by ordering a Raptor shift light today!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back