Baffled!! Need advise

jimmyg79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving home this afternoon when I was at a light and smelled gas. I look in the rearview mirror and see excessive smoke belowing out, the I notice my A/F gauge is reading a steady 12.7-13.1 which is odd, being that it's usualy jumping all over the map at idle, and then the check engine light goes on. I get home and check the codes and I end up pulling three. The first one read P0304, which is a misfire in cyl. 4. The second was P0204 which is the injector 4 control circuit, and then I had a P0158 which is a HO2S curcuit high voltage bank 2 censor 2.

I then disconected the battery and let it sit for a while, I hooked it up again and started the engine and everything looked and ran fine. I take it for a test drive and by the time I get to the end of our sub the check engine light comes on and it starts running rich again. I get back and check the code and this time it just gave me the P0204 which is the injector code. I reset it again and let it idle for about 10 minutes without any issue and took it for another test drive. I went about the same distance and it did it again. So I'm confused, is this an ECM problem, a wiring problem, or an injector problem? It seems like it will idle fine, but as soon as I drive it, it fouls up at almost the exact distance. Any ideas?

have you tried to run it at a constant RPM while parked in your driveway to see if it does it after a bit?

Could be your pcm, when it comes to eletroincs anything can happen, Something is def wrong with your fuel it seems like. I have a extra 04 pcm if you want it to throw in with your vin and see if that helps ya. If you want it let me know buddy, I try to help anyone out if I can.

I'll go out there right now and see how long I can keep it at 1500 rpms before it goes rich.

Ok, just kept it at 1500 rpm in the driveway and it fouled up in about the exact same time it did the previous times. At least it's only throwing the one P0204 code. You think the injector could just be stuck open and it just takes a little time for the computer to catch it? Which injector is 04?

Hatedonmostly said:
Could be your pcm, when it comes to eletroincs anything can happen, Something is def wrong with your fuel it seems like. I have a extra 04 pcm if you want it to throw in with your vin and see if that helps ya. If you want it let me know buddy, I try to help anyone out if I can.

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it if I can't figure out this injector.

it might be, when you first start the truck its in "closed loop" so it just runs on a set program, after a little bit it goes into "open loop" which is where it starts adjusting the A/F ratio acording to what is needed. does it smoke when you first start it up?

It sure does. Without reseting the PCM, the AF gauge is normal and then it shows it's running rich after it goes into the open loop. So would that mean the injector's stuck open? I guess I can swap it with an injector from my 03 viper to find out, right?

that'd be a lot of work to swap'em out but yeah that'd tell you. maybe you could tap the injector first to see if it starts working

good idea, I'll give that a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Have you been running leaded race fuel? Had same type problem when i did it killed the o2s or it could just be bad (o2s upstream) .

Not hard to swap injectors. #4 is the second one on the passenger side. You can swap it with the #2 (first one on same side) but just raising the fuel rail a little bit. You will need to bleed the fuel by the valve on the rail first. Then disconnect the the two injectors and un bolt the fuel rail. Lift it up just enough to swap them out. Should only take 15 mins or so.

Swapped the injectors and still get the P02024 code, so that has to be either a wireing problem or a ECM problem right? Is there anything else I can do to narrow it down?

i had something similar happen to my old 3800gm, it turned out to be a plug wire, check them to be sure they are tight and the plug is not fowled.

do you have volt meter? you can un plug the injector and see if your getting voltage to the plug

I'm getting voltage to the injector, so this has to be a ecm issue. I have a flash for my nos set up maybe it needs a reflash. Would I be able to swap out the ecm from the 03 viper to the 04 truck to see if that solves the problem or is that a bad idea?

i don't think the PCM would work but i'm not real sure. I think the PCM has to have the VIN number in it to work right. did you set your meter to Ohms and make sure the ristance was the same on your #4 injector plug and the others?

So here is where I'm at now.

1. Switched the #4 injector with the #2 injector and still pulled the P0204 code
2. Checked voltage and ohms for the #4 and #2 injector plugs and both pulse the same.

So the wires and injectors themselves seem to be working normaly, so I have to believe it's the computer right?

sent you a PM with a phone number.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back