Battery shelf life

The Itch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. While delirious on prescribed narcotics:p I assumed my battery was dead in my TA. The car was dead and after a jump it didn't recharge completely. Sooo, I bought another battery (Optima). But now after putting the other (Titanium) one on a charger for a while it checks out and appears to be fine. How long will it last if I put it on the shelf? Should I leave it on a slow charger? Basically how should I store this battery? :dontknow:

I got a chance to buy two optima red tops at a good price...I did so and left them on a shelf for a year...I have sold one of them with my Volvo and then put the other in my truck...no problem at all. I did not use a trickle charger...but that would probably not be a bad idea as long as it was a good one that just maintained the charge...

I'm on my third Optima red top in my 3000 GT Spyder. I don't drive it much so the battery goes dead. I have checked it for a draw and found none. I forget to start it in the winter. The Interstate battery rep said if you let the Optima go dead there a bitch to get fully charged so he suggested a battery maintainer to keep it charged. He also said a lot of people have problems with them, so if you don't drive your car much don't let the battery go dead.

I'd sell it, I just buy normal batteries for my car/truck. I have one in my Dart that cost $50 and has been in it for 10 years. It still works fine.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back