Battery/starter prob.

popstoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning Im having an issue and trying to determine if its a battery or starter problem.For the last two months while trying to start my 05 reg cab the starter labors to start the truck (slow with delays during cranking but starts hot or cold)Yesterday after running to few stores after my third stop(liquor store) it would not fire over it would try to start then just stop,nothing no clicks or spins my gauge was between 10 and 14 volts and i had power but my radio would keep resetting.I got a jump start fired right up nice and smooth.i got it home turned on and off it kept starting but it is labored.The battery has 14+ volts while truck is running and 12.32 with truck off any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks oh battery is in stock location and no crazy alarms.

You have a dead cell in your battery. They will sit at proper voltage but as soon as you put a load on them the voltage drops to unusable levels with no amps. I'm sure if you stop by a parts store and have it tested, it will confirm. Watch the volt meter on the arbst tester when it test. If it drops below 10.2-10.4 she's toast.

I agree. With the labored cranking you describe the battery does not have the amps to turnover the motor. Just like was mentioned above in greater detail by Jeff. If the testing is free go for it, otherwise just replace the battery. It is most assuredly the problem.

Good morning Im having an issue and trying to determine if its a battery or starter problem.For the last two months while trying to start my 05 reg cab the starter labors to start the truck (slow with delays during cranking but starts hot or cold)Yesterday after running to few stores after my third stop(liquor store) it would not fire over it would try to start then just stop,nothing no clicks or spins my gauge was between 10 and 14 volts and i had power but my radio would keep resetting.I got a jump start fired right up nice and smooth.i got it home turned on and off it kept starting but it is labored.The battery has 14+ volts while truck is running and 12.32 with truck off any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks oh battery is in stock location and no crazy alarms.

It is probably the OEM battery,05 = 7 yrs. :dontknow::D

It is probably the OEM battery,05 = 7 yrs. :dontknow::D

YUP thats what i was just about to say lol. Go have autozone or pepboys test that thing for free to confirm but the starter would either work or not work there really is no in between with a starter lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back