Bell-housing Pattern

Alikazam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've searched a few times and found a few references, but nothing as solid as I'd like so here goes (please point me in the right direction if I've just blindly missed this in a sticky or something!):

What bell-housing bolt pattern do the '05 RC SRT-10 V10 engines share commonality with? The '03-'04 Vipers? The '96-'02 Vipers? I was under the impression it was the '03 to '04, but hope someone can verify this for me (looking at transmission adapters and Coan racing sells a few). I know the QC bell-housing pattern is different than the RC blocks (yay dodge in their infinite wisdom for doing this) so getting a 48RE built up to go behind the RC engine doesn't seem to be a viable option (let alone easy to hook an aftermarket computer to for control, i.e. TCI FAST EZ-TCU).

Thanks in advance!

The 48re will bolt to a rc engine, all but 1 bolt hole lines up. The bell housing for the viper car engine is the same all the way up to 06, might be the same after that but I'm not sure.

So any adapter kit to put a GM auto tranny to an earlier viper car should work on the RC block? The '05 doesn't or does have the magnets on the flex-plate/flywheel?

Also, if I can bolt a 48RE up to the RC block and plan to make upwards of 700whp or so (eventually) do you think it would be wise to run that minus the one bolt?

Can it be modified to make that last bolt hole work easilly or would it be major surgery/welding to do so?

What sort of cost would be involved in setting up a 48RE to handle maximum of 1000whp? (and who should I be looking to for this?)

Thanks again! :)

So back to the 4L80E then :) Thanks for the info!

Now if only someone knew the exacts about which adapter kit from Coan I should look at getting... :) I'd be set!

Main reasoning being that whatever transmission I put in there I want overbuilt for my overall horsepower goals so I don't have to "do it again" :) the 727 in my van has handled the 340/350 rwhp/rwtq daily without issue and over 200 nitrous passes great, just want the same reliability for the V10 whenever I end up getting it in there, including the future possibility of a turbo setup and more ponies to push her to 10 second quarter miles. I don't plan to put any more intense of a cage in it to ever go faster than that, but the difference between an 11.50 limited car and a 10.00 flat limited car isn't that huge when you're going to redo the interior and do this kind of surgery anyway :) Thanks for the input so far!

Last edited:
Yes, I've read through that thread, but I never saw mention of which viper bellhousing adapter kit would work for the truck. I assume it is the Gen 3 kits, but was hoping someone would know for sure. Coan racing sells adapter kits cheaper than either of the ones listed in that thread, including the fact that Carlwalski was ultimately not 100% satisfied with the errors in the Donato's adapter kit he got. This same thread is what lead me to decide upon a 4L80E as the front runner option for what I wanted to put in the van though. Thanks! :)

If I remember correctly from when I was going through this the 03 car block is a bit of a bastard. 04, 05 is the same pattern/flywheel, 06+ is the same pattern/flywheel. I used Donato for my adapter. Originally they sent the wrong flywheel but they took care of that quickly. Make sure your torque converter builder pays attention that the GM converter has to be +1/2" to work. Mike's Transmissions in Cali is who built mine and I highly recommend them.

That said I think the Coan adapter that ends with "A" is the correct one for you to use.

Yeah I had a feeling it would be the "expensive" one, lol. Thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, what trans did you end up with in your project and how do you like it?

Edit: Found it was a TH400 with GV OD. Did you go this route vs. a 4L80E for any particular reason beyond simplicity?

Last edited:
Simplicity and I wanted a manual valve body and a transbrake. I was building a trans to live at over 1000hp and get me down the track. I've fought with a 4l80e in an offroad application before and I wasn't willing to try again. But carlwalski has been happy with his, though it's a different application than me.

I like it but it's all personal preference. Yes I have to shift it on the street but that doesn't bother me. If I end up only driving it on the street I may change to a lower stall converter so that it will lock up. IMO the gear vendors is stronger than any built in overdrive. You can smoke a transmission very fast by hammering it in overdrive. With turbos and a high stall I figured I would be doing that a lot on the street.

If I was going to use my truck more as a daily driver at a lower hp level I would have likely gone with the 4l80e. I didn't like the 48re.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back