Belltech QC lowering shackles

Chewbacca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowering shackles for Dummies!

Well I thought I had questions for this install, but as I was typing I re-read the directions and understand it better. Wasn't sure if the new shackle goes in the front end of spring pack or back. Figured it was the back since there is already one there. Any tips for doing this? When I unbolt the spring pack, will it wanna pop up or down? Sorry, this is one of the few things I haven't messed with yet.

Step 4 of the directions says to raise the truck with the floor jack just until the truck lifts off the stands. Now tighten the four spring eyebolts on the shackles. I read on here to lower truck and tighten on ground? Is this correct...or better? Trying to get everything ready in my head for my week off. Lot of crap to install.

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG-20150519-01494.jpg
    IMG-20150519-01494.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 400
Here is the How-To on installing lowering shackles. When I did mine 5 years ago or so I remember just making sure the pressure was off the leaf spring.

LINK

I'm getting ready to do this on my truck in the very near future. Would you mind taking before and after pictures please? I wanna see how much drop I will get. Thanks!

Jack up the truck and put axle stands under the chassis. do this in a way that the rear wheels are just free.
Then loosen the bolts.
Then you can use a jack to put under the axle and jack it up until the tension is of the leaf springs.
You will notice this when the bolts from the shackles start to turn more or less easily.
Then you can can pull the bolts out and change the shackles.
For this you will need to adjust the height of the axle since the new shackles are shorter.
Then lower the truck to the ground or jack it up under the axle so the chassis is off the axle stands and tighten the bolts to the specified torque.
Get rid of the axle stands , lower the truck and enjoy the sight.

Here is the How-To on installing lowering shackles. When I did mine 5 years ago or so I remember just making sure the pressure was off the leaf spring.

LINK

Doh, guess I have to become a supporting member to access that link.

I'm getting ready to do this on my truck in the very near future. Would you mind taking before and after pictures please? I wanna see how much drop I will get. Thanks!

Will do. I'm not expecting much difference, and that's ok by me, still like the feeling of being up high compared to my car.

Jack up the truck and put axle stands under the chassis. do this in a way that the rear wheels are just free.
Then loosen the bolts.
Then you can use a jack to put under the axle and jack it up until the tension is of the leaf springs.
You will notice this when the bolts from the shackles start to turn more or less easily.
Then you can can pull the bolts out and change the shackles.
For this you will need to adjust the height of the axle since the new shackles are shorter.
Then lower the truck to the ground or jack it up under the axle so the chassis is off the axle stands and tighten the bolts to the specified torque.
Get rid of the axle stands , lower the truck and enjoy the sight.

Ok, cool, sounds pretty easy. Thanks!

As you can see in the pic in post #1, the stock bolts for these shackles are pretty rusty. Does anyone know what size they are, or where to get new ones?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back