Best lowering kit for the $$$

trussman

Reaction score
Ok. I have seen several drop kits for the rams. I want to drop mine 1-2 in front and 3-4 in rear(unless someone has reasons why thats a bad idea) I dont want the lovely tire toe in at the top...Please let me know of some good kits without breakin the bank.Thanks!

Lowering the truck helps the look and or stance. I will say the truck handles completely different from stock probably for the worse. Some will say it rides like its on rails others have said its sloppy, I drive an RC so the QC may handle differently. My personal experience with doing a 1 inch drop in the front and 2 inch blocks in the back are it looks good and installs very easily. I drive my truck more often than most and noticed its harder to keep the truck on the road due to the tunneling on the road and the wider tires on our trucks along with reduced suspension travel. I don't think this has anything to do with the kit just the fact the center of gravity is now lower and the shocks are forced to have less travel available plus the truck does weigh over 5000 lbs.

I prefer my truck stock height after lowering it due to the rough handling. The was an old thread from an SRT engineer on another forum discussing why it was bad to lower the 10 and one of them was the handling would be sacraficed. There are other things that need to happen when lowering a vehicle than just a drop kit you also need sway bar links at proper lengths to ensure the sway bars are performing correctly. Then you need to also take into consideration "bump steer" which can not be corrected on our trucks due to our tie rod design unless you do a custom $etup. Shocks are also an issue, yeah the stockers work better with just about every kit out there but shocks need proper valving and travel and are usually tuned to the vehicle height and expected travel. Since most of us are using brand x shocks or stockers its hard to get the truck to perform like it should when lowered without tuning the shocks. Tuning in my opinion is trial and error and should be performed on the track.

This is my 2 cents on lowering these trucks. Every vehicle is different but the principles are the same. For the money Stinker has a great kit that will give you a killer look. Just make sure you put all the other items into play when ordering a kit to ensure your getting the most out of your suspension. Cheers!

trussman said:
Ok. I have seen several drop kits for the rams. I want to drop mine 1-2 in front and 3-4 in rear(unless someone has reasons why thats a bad idea) I dont want the lovely tire toe in at the top...Please let me know of some good kits without breakin the bank.Thanks!

the one I have truss is kinda xteeme bud, it jsut plan slams it,

now if you want to lower it slightly there is two options

one buy a set of shackles and remove the helper spring from the rear spring pack, you keep the ride, and get killer looks

if you wnat it a touch lower, then you can get a set of RC springs for the front to lower the front a tad more

also i can get now ebach kits, they have one that has the front coils, and rear leaf springs, drops it around 1.8 front, and I think 3-4 inthe rear

Cablefed said:
Lowering the truck helps the look and or stance. I will say the truck handles completely different from stock probably for the worse. Some will say it rides like its on rails others have said its sloppy, I drive an RC so the QC may handle differently. My personal experience with doing a 1 inch drop in the front and 2 inch blocks in the back are it looks good and installs very easily. I drive my truck more often than most and noticed its harder to keep the truck on the road due to the tunneling on the road and the wider tires on our trucks along with reduced suspension travel. I don't think this has anything to do with the kit just the fact the center of gravity is now lower and the shocks are forced to have less travel available plus the truck does weigh over 5000 lbs.

I prefer my truck stock height after lowering it due to the rough handling. The was an old thread from an SRT engineer on another forum discussing why it was bad to lower the 10 and one of them was the handling would be sacraficed. There are other things that need to happen when lowering a vehicle than just a drop kit you also need sway bar links at proper lengths to ensure the sway bars are performing correctly. Then you need to also take into consideration "bump steer" which can not be corrected on our trucks due to our tie rod design unless you do a custom $etup. Shocks are also an issue, yeah the stockers work better with just about every kit out there but shocks need proper valving and travel and are usually tuned to the vehicle height and expected travel. Since most of us are using brand x shocks or stockers its hard to get the truck to perform like it should when lowered without tuning the shocks. Tuning in my opinion is trial and error and should be performed on the track.

This is my 2 cents on lowering these trucks. Every vehicle is different but the principles are the same. For the money Stinker has a great kit that will give you a killer look. Just make sure you put all the other items into play when ordering a kit to ensure your getting the most out of your suspension. Cheers!
You can use an extension mount for the rear this will allow full travel for the rear shocks. With a 1 inch drop spring rate will have more of an effect on ride quality than the shock will unless the shock was already bad or to short. When they did the drop what specs did they use to realign the front? Bet you will find if you zero out the camber adjustments you will improve steering control . When i have the front end of my truck aligned i always try to have it loaded in full street trim and a half a tank of gas. Have you ever called Bilstein to inquire about shorter shocks for the truck if they do not offer some try Monroe or kyb ?

Last edited:
That's a damn fine question Trussman.... I am looking to do the same moderate drop that you are talking about.... I don't want to slam it completely but rather get much better handling and a perfect stance........ I hope to get some good advice from this thread.

Well, thanks for the input so far. And stinker, Im riding a rc already so rc front springs wont help me;)... I have tried the 2k pounds of logs in the bed and it makes for a great look but my track times suck when i do that! Hey stinker, do you have any links for the drop rear shackles or is auto zone capable of this find.....(skeptical I am). I would be happy with just leveling the truck just for the fact that the rear, always looks to me, like it's jacked up waiting for a tire rotation or somethin. Oh and Cablefed, thanks for all that info! I never would have thought that deep into things. I just figured a camber fix and BAM, yur done. Thanks again!

trussman said:
Well, thanks for the input so far. And stinker, Im riding a rc already so rc front springs wont help me;)... I have tried the 2k pounds of logs in the bed and it makes for a great look but my track times suck when i do that! Hey stinker, do you have any links for the drop rear shackles or is auto zone capable of this find.....(skeptical I am). I would be happy with just leveling the truck just for the fact that the rear, always looks to me, like it's jacked up waiting for a tire rotation or somethin. Oh and Cablefed, thanks for all that info! I never would have thought that deep into things. I just figured a camber fix and BAM, yur done. Thanks again!

here is link to drop shackles on stinker's site
http://shop.jtsvp.com/product.sc?categoryId=152&productId=275
i am also getting ready to purchase these.:rock:

This thread is confusing. Everyone is mismoshing RC and QC lowering. Trussman is asking about RC dropping.

trussman said:

dont do that unless you want to a clutch soon too...

dinode said:
This thread is confusing. Everyone is mismoshing RC and QC lowering. Trussman is asking about RC dropping.
yep just figured that out,

Trussman, if you want a RC llowering kit, well I do have that , I took oem springs , had them custom made to 10% stiffer than oem springs, they drop about 1.5 in the front, and uses 2.5 solid blocks in the rear, and it comes with front and rear sway bar bushings, and you keep the oem shocks, , they are abou the best out there, and monroe or others that are offered arent even in there league

pm me if I can help ya bud

Would 2inch drop lower a arms e better than lower front coils on a QC?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back