Best oil weight for summer?

johnnybravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the "which oil is best" horse has been beaten to death, set on fire, and dumped over a cliff, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for yet. :argh: So...what would be the best weight to use for summer? I'm about due for a change and I can't get 0w40 royal purple, but I can get the 5w30. With temps between 70-90 degrees, will a 5w30 do the trick or would it best to find a 0w40?

TNVIPER said:
I would stick with the 0-40 but the 5-30 is ok..but you might get some valve train noise....
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Our climate is hot , similar to Florida (or slightly lower temps) and i have very good luck in the summer with 15W-50 . The engine sounds much smoother with it much lower valvetrain noise .

just my 2 cents :rock:

I run 15W-50 Mobil 1 in the summer. And switch to 0W-40 for the winter.

I also run 15/50 (mix) in the summer. I buy a jug of 5/30 and a jug 05/50 and mix it.

I also alternate as a pour it in- cause I have OCD like that. . . :eek:

I use 5w60 all year round and with the higher viscosity (60) when hot it custs down the valve train noise somewhat

like i said before 15-50 mobil1 or shell helix synth for summer
5-50 mobil1 for winter

valavetrain noise is defo lower with 15-50 than 5-50

M1 0w40 year round here. Summer I add a bottle of Lucas synthetic oil stabalizer.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back