Best payment method for an ebay car?

guyrobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best payment method and most secure for purchasing a car on Ebay?
Thanks in advance.
The car is located in Elma NY near Buffalo.
It is a private sellar with a good rating.

Under $4000, I would say paypal. But, there are fees involved.

If you are picking the car up, or getting it delivered, a cashier's check would work... also a better idea if it's above $4000.

It will be over 10k I won't be picking it up,
If my bid is accepred I will have it transported to Bellingham Washington.
I was thinking I could wire the money to a Notary public or someone similar who could then transfer the cash to the sellar on receipt of the paper work.

guyrobert said:
It will be over 10k I won't be picking it up,
If my bid is accepred I will have it transported to Bellingham Washington.
I was thinking I could wire the money to a Notary public or someone similar who could then transfer the cash to the sellar on receipt of the paper work.

I believe Ebay has some sort of Escrow service available. :dontknow:

EDIT: Yep, here you go: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/escrow.html

I just purchased a '69 Dart a couple of weeks ago from a person in Iowa,and I used PayPal !!!I've never had a problem from the 2 vehicles I've bought that way !!I like the insurance protection they offer if you use them !!:dontknow:

I'd use Paypal. It doesn't cost the buyer anything to use only the seller and it is very secure. Also, you will only have ebay buyer protection if you use paypal.

kennygene said:
I'd use Paypal. It doesn't cost the buyer anything to use only the seller and it is very secure. Also, you will only have ebay buyer protection if you use paypal.
Use both the escrow and Pay Pal with a Credit Card.Pay Pal does not help you that much and you have only a small amount of time ( best to read small print) (I have had 8 claims in 3 years:( )
With a Credit Card you can dispute/stop the charge and get your money back. With Pay Pal you can end up with nothing as the person you send money to can close up shop and you are stuck...
Credit Cards , and the protection they provide rule in these circumstances.:D

Last edited:
Wifey said:
Use both the escrow and Pay Pal with a Credit Card.
Pay Pal does not help you that much and you have only a small amount of time ( best to read small print) (I have had 8 claims in 3 years:( )
With a Credit Card you can dispute/stop the charge and get your money back. With Pay Pal you can end up with nothing as the person you send money to can close up shop and you are stuck...
Credit Cards , and the protection they provide rule in these circumstances.:D

Yep, I would even go so far as to say use American Express... Because they are absolute BASTARDS to the other party if you say you got screwed. :D

Black1 said:
Yep, I would even go so far as to say use American Express... Because they are absolute BASTARDS to the other party if you say you got screwed. :D
Coverages /assistance will vary from card to card best to check.
I have had good service with American Express :rock:

I was going to use this site...
https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

I ended up flying and driving so I don't know much about it but it seems legit. What did you buy? I live about an hour away from you. Tired of the rain yet?? Damn I hope the sun comes out soon.

F*ck paypal. Give them a deposit of $500-$1000 on paypal to avoid fees. Give rest to seller when u get there or deal with him directly regarding payments. I have bought several vehicles from eBay and have sold some. I deal directly with the sellers and same when I sold I
collected minimal down and rest when the buyer came to
pick it up..... Paypal sucks ass!

alice the cat said:
I was going to use this site...
https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

I ended up flying and driving so I don't know much about it but it seems legit. What did you buy? I live about an hour away from you. Tired of the rain yet?? Damn I hope the sun comes out soon.
Still bidding on it,
It's a rare caddy,
This rain has gotta stop, I just lost my car storage space so I have been swapping cars & trucks in this sh*t all morning:mad:

An escrow company is a good way to go... Or even a dealer... It may cost a bit more, but the security of going through a reputable organization with a business to protect does (IMO) provide a bit more peace of mind than just trusting some unknown individual.

I'd go with a large an reputable dealer that's local to the vehicle....

Either way good luck, Guy....

D

When I bought my truck out of San Jose I used a credi card as a down payment and then used a bank draft for payment so then if there is a problem the bank could go after them, paypal only has a 45 day protection plan and a credit card you can put a stop payment. I just decided to go withthe bank if there is a problem they can send out their hired goons :secruity: instead of me having to deal with the possible BS.

Back