Billet main caps...not fitting

Ram From Hell said:
AFAIK, the dry sump does not provide any start-up benefit. It's mission in life is to prevent oil starvation under high G situations. Road racing is where these really shine, as the vehicle sees extremes of lateral plus acceleration/deceleration, where the oil in a typical pan can be forced away from the pickup for extended periods of time.

The poor-man's dry sump (aka accumulator/accusump), does have the startup benefit, and can, for brief periods of time, make up for a dip in oil pressure.

That about right, ape man?

Verrry gooood Grasshoppper.;) :p :D

Blakewilder said:
Hey Ramfromhell.........you stayin N/A?

Yes. Considering upping the CR by about 1/4 point, and plan on running a serious programmable nitrous system, though.

Well, gotta go. The quote from Arrow just came in the fax. Ack!:deal:

Blakewilder said:

About what I figured. After backing out the cost of shipping, I'm around 10k. Add in the cost of heads, cam, main caps, and the few extras I'm purchasing (before the nitrous gear), that's putting the build cost tally around 18k. No freebie value here, unfortunately.

Blakewilder said:
I got ya beat.........coated bearings (rod and main), Coated pistons, xtra machining for strikers, a few secret ingredients,......21ish.

Oddly enough, I kinda feel good about that. I can tell my wife that it coulda cost more!

Funny you should mention the coated stuff. Todd and I just finished up discussing the benefits of that. That'll be on the list of options.

Secret ingredients... sheesh.:D

Last edited:
Ram From Hell said:
Oddly enough, I kinda feel good about that. I can tell my wife that it coulda cost more!

Funny you should mention the coated stuff. Todd and I just finished up discussing the benefits of that. That'll be on the list of options.

Secret ingredients... sheesh.:D

I my humble opinion the jury is still out on a lot of coated stuff. It looks good and is "state of the art".
I have seen a lot of parts coated over the last few years and it does not seem to make much differance. Most of the time it is not worth what it costs.

I only did it cuz of the #3 rod journal issue....It would absolutley break my heart if this this grenaded in a month or something......(fingers crossed)

And the secret ingredients were some sort of oiling solution that the machinist wouldnt elaborate on having to do with gettin oil where we want it.

FSTJACK said:
I my humble opinion the jury is still out on a lot of coated stuff. It looks good and is "state of the art".
I have seen a lot of parts coated over the last few years and it does not seem to make much differance. Most of the time it is not worth what it costs.

I'll admit I had only a vague idea about internal coatings. So I did a little homework.

Dry film lubricant coating on bearings and piston skirts seem to have proven to provide a substantial reduction in friction wear. Tech Line's DFL-1 seems to stand out here. Thermal coating the piston tops reduces the temperature of the piston, which in turn can help prevent detonation and premature piston failure (I hate it when that happens!!!). Startup wear is also touted as one of the benefits to these coatings, along with the natural benefit of increased horsepower with the reduction in friction.

Piston coatings for tops and sides run about $65.00 each. Sounds like a reasonable sum to me for additional insurance on an expensive engine build. Have yet to find costs on bearing coatings, but if comparable to the piston coating, may well be worthwhile. The cautions with the bearings appear to be with respect to maintaining proper clearances, allowing for the right thickness of coating.

I'm seeing plenty of testimonials out there in the racing world, where these coatings are substantially reducing the engine costs per run. Guys are going four runs on a set of pistons vs. one in very high horsepower apps, or whole seasons without touching an engine where otherwise they were rebuilding multiple times a season.

If done right, sounds like this is quite worthy of consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ram From Hell said:
I'll admit I had only a vague idea about internal coatings. So I did a little homework.

Dry film lubricant coating on bearings and piston skirts seem to have proven to provide a substantial reduction in friction wear. Tech Line's DFL-1 seems to stand out here. Thermal coating the piston tops reduces the temperature of the piston, which in turn can help prevent detonation and premature piston failure (I hate it when that happens!!!). Startup wear is also touted as one of the benefits to these coatings, along with the natural benefit of increased horsepower with the reduction in friction.

Piston coatings for tops and sides run about $65.00 each. Sounds like a reasonable sum to me for additional insurance on an expensive engine build. Have yet to find costs on bearing coatings, but if comparable to the piston coating, may well be worthwhile. The cautions with the bearings appear to be with respect to maintaining proper clearances, allowing for the right thickness of coating.

I'm seeing plenty of testimonials out there in the racing world, where these coatings are substantially reducing the engine costs per run. Guys are going four runs on a set of pistons vs. one in very high horsepower apps, or whole seasons without touching an engine where otherwise they were rebuilding multiple times a season.

If done right, sounds like this is quite worthy of consideration.

The coating of the top of the piston only prevents detonation if it was caused by a hot spot on the piston surface. It will not help if you have a lean condition, timing issue, or other problem that is causing the detonation.

Don't be mislead into thinking it's a cure all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back