bleak outlook...

HDVIPER said:
Hey Jeff, are you sure it was Rupert Murdoch, and not Warren Buffet? Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what you are saying here! I just think Rupert Murdoch doesn't really give a SH*T what his secretary pays in taxes.

And Annu, please get your head out of the clouds, (No offense) this isn't going to fix itself, we need REAL leaders to help fix this problem we are facing!

Now i'm going to have to go find that thing again:( Not sure how I could have mixed up Warren and Rupert, but it does seem to be more like Buffet to care about the tax structure.

-jeff

azpyroguy said:
I saw also that 2008 will be the killer year for recession also.. I have been following things quite religiously...

My opinions on the subject that are killing the economy are (I probably missed some... also)

1. Companies off shoring work to India, Mexico, etc.. taking away american jobs.

2. Corporate executives that are cheating and scamming the system (Enron, MCI, WorldCom, etc..those types)

3. Housing Market slump.

4. Rising Interest rates.

5. Rising fuel and energy costs

5. Retail sale slump ( attributed to layoffs, energy costs, etc..)

All of these (and others) together spell disaster...

Interest rates are rising??? In the 80's it used to be 12 percent. Its still the lowest its been. and gas price rising. Adjusted for inflation gas prices are just fine. In the 80's consumers paid more for their energy bills than now. Just ask prof. And the high paying jobs are still growing atleast where I am. Biotech is the next industry here and Silicon Valley is still doing fine. Its the subprime Mortgage crap that is taking a toll.

Everyone has an opinion on why we are in such a deep hole.

I am not an economics expert, just a guy reeling from the impact like the rest of us here...but, I really think Michigan is the bellwether for this problem.

In Michigan:

1. All their eggs in one basket (autos)
2. Myoptic leadership (refusal to recognize the wants and needs in the auto marketplace)
3. Unions demanding benefits that ultimately killed the manufacturing sector
4. Corporate leaders 'selling the farm' for short term returns
5. A populace that refuses to accept change (I want to be a line welder for my entire life...well guess what...there is no such thing in the auto industry any more...
6. Failure to recognize that sending jobs off shore is not only a labor saving technique, but the creation of a market...when we send jobs abroad...we need to develop products to sell into that new emerging market that we have created when we elevate the life style of people in the geographic areas we send the jobs to...

On the national level:
1. We have allowed this administration to spend us into oblivion, and mortgage our children's future. We are still ignoring the Social Security deficit, the coming collapse of Medicare, the staggering problem of our physical infrastructure falling apart (literally).

2. We are content with attention to short term problems like the sub-prime mortgage issue...this will blow over and in the process serve as a smoke screen for President Bush to fade away, while the huge problems (the trillion dollar ones) get no attention.

3. While the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) of 2002 has made corporate executives personally accountable...we have no credible accountability tools for our legislative and executive branches of government...that has to change.

4. The psychological mind set of the nation is really at a low point in my tenure here. We are all in pain, but it is nothing compared to what it may become in the near future...we can still avoid the problems, but we do not have the national will to do the things we need to do to make the changes necessary.

I could go on and on...but who the hell cares?

I love this country and I love my life...but it could be so much better for so many if we just wanted to do the work necessary to make this world a better place than it is...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back