Boat Gurus?

zcoupe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into a decent ski boat for under 20k? What do you guys recommend?

what are your intentions?

malibu, mastercraft, nautique are great boats...

how many people do you need to take on the water?

are ballasts and perfect pass systems mandatory?

how good are the skiers?

need more info to answer...

also look into supra, moomba, and centurion... all of the major brands have similar design layouts...

i don't prefer the center mount designs... i like the space in the "cabin"... they're less money, though...

i prefer the rear mount configurations with wrap around seats... but that's preference...

You can get a fine boat for 20. Now a mastercraft ski natique malibu ect you'll have to get older... That's the rout I would take.just look hard. Criagslist is a good place to look for stuff.

Thanks for all the info guys.

My intentions for the boat would be leisure time with family and friends..... tubing and beginner wake boarders. Maybe 8-10 passengers.

Also something with reasonable maintenance costs and reliability.

if it's more about leisure, then why not a cobalt, regal, or yamaha?

do you want a wakeboard specific boat?

if they're beginners, that's fine, but do you see this as a long term investment to learn how to ride? if so, i'd suggest stepping up closer to the $30k range...

i don't own a boat... but i've worked on several and have friends with just about every conceivable make/model you could want... from $60k bennington pontoons, to $60k mastercrafts...

is this a "i hope they like it" kinda thing? if so, i'd get a $10k '96 malibu and make sure before i spend $26k on one and they hate it...

I flip boats almost every year. A quality old boat sells better for me.. But 20 will get you a dime of a boat. You'll just loose on the big end.

I flip boats almost every year. A quality old boat sells better for me.. But 20 will get you a dime of a boat. You'll just loose on the big end.

i guess that's what i meant...

if you're looking for a longer term boat that your family will enjoy, i'd step up a little in price...

if not, step down a little and see if they like it...

It's kind of like these trucks... You won't need a kiss after as bad as if you got a lightning

I'm no guru but I'd stay away from direct drive/v drive boats unless all you plan to do is ski/wakeboard. We have an old supra and it really sucks not being able to beach the boat because the prop is fixed under the boat, also shallow water sucks too. My next boat will be something I can raise the prop out of the water, or a jet boat:D but we don't do a lot of tubing or skiing

I'm no guru but I'd stay away from direct drive/v drive boats unless all you plan to do is ski/wakeboard. We have an old supra and it really sucks not being able to beach the boat because the prop is fixed under the boat, also shallow water sucks too. My next boat will be something I can raise the prop out of the water, or a jet boat:D but we don't do a lot of tubing or skiing

X2... if you are going to keep it in just a few lakes that you are familiar with, that have docks and great ramps, sure. If you like having the flexibility of going in the bay, sound, ocean, or explore unfamiliar water, look elsewhere.

Unless you have been wakeboarding for years, or have an uncanny natural skill and need to pop 12 feet in the air, a purpose build ski/wakeboard boat is not necessary and is a huge limiting factor. Id get a comfortable pleasureboat that isnt so nice or pristine that you would flip if fish blood or spilled beer got in it.

I like the surround seating dom. You could put an extra ballast bag or a picnic table in the middle of that bad boy, or a blow up matress :)

X2... if you are going to keep it in just a few lakes that you are familiar with, that have docks and great ramps, sure. If you like having the flexibility of going in the bay, sound, ocean, or explore unfamiliar water, look elsewhere.

Unless you have been wakeboarding for years, or have an uncanny natural skill and need to pop 12 feet in the air, a purpose build ski/wakeboard boat is not necessary and is a huge limiting factor. Id get a comfortable pleasureboat that isnt so nice or pristine that you would flip if fish blood or spilled beer got in it.

he asked about wakeboard boats specifically...

but that's why i was asking his long-term intentions...

Look at some bow riders too. especially if its going to be used for family outings. you can ski and wakeboard behind them with or without a wakeboard tower. i towed wake boarders behind my bowrider a lot.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back