Bodybuilding/Physique competition

Pneumothorax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been lifting for about 7 years now. Started out weighing around 155lbs. Over the years, I continually packed on the weight and got up to 230lbs. That was back in January.

Over the summer I decided to compete in my first show for November 1st and starting cutting weight.

So on Aug 1st, I started weighing 212. Today, I weigh 175.
Almost 40 pounds lighter. The journey has been rough and sucky. Constantly getting food and portions taken from me by my coach/trainer. To now where I am only eating 8oz egg whites for breakfast, 6oz ground lean turkey for lunch, and 6oz of the turkey for dinner. With protein shakes in between. No carbs this final week. I carb up the final 3 days before the show.

I'm entering the physique class for a more aesthetic look and see how I do. Here are some progress pics along the way.

Wow, nice work! We have several physique competitors on our team. Watching them prep for a show is insane. Who is your coach?

Congrats Bro, looking great! A lot of my friends were into bodybuilding, a couple still are. I always loved competing but I was more into the powerlifting and strongman end of it. I always wanted to look as good as I felt so I always did kind of a hybrid of lifting styles. What show are you doing? Why going into physique over full out bodybuilding? I know a couple of my friends started getting frustrated with the bodybuilding end of it because if your quads don't measure at least 30" around you're considered to have "chicken legs".

Wow, nice work! We have several physique competitors on our team. Watching them prep for a show is insane. Who is your coach?

Thanks man. the prep is so much harder than I thought it would be. My coach is a guy I work with. Dave Conomon. He really knows his stuff and we just started a small team. Everyone has placed 1st or 2nd this year.

Congrats Bro, looking great! A lot of my friends were into bodybuilding, a couple still are. I always loved competing but I was more into the powerlifting and strongman end of it. I always wanted to look as good as I felt so I always did kind of a hybrid of lifting styles. What show are you doing? Why going into physique over full out bodybuilding? I know a couple of my friends started getting frustrated with the bodybuilding end of it because if your quads don't measure at least 30" around you're considered to have "chicken legs".

Thanks bro! I'm doing the All South Championships in St. Augustine, FL. Apparently it's a big show and it being my very first, I just want to get the experience of the stage and hopefully do well.

I chose physique since I've had 2 major injuries on each leg the past 2 years. They've fallen back in the heavy training and didn't grow much. So, like you said, I would be considered chicken legs up there. They're right around 27". Definitely would hold me back. I might transition over to bodybuilding in a year or two barring any further setbacks. After this show, my focus will be core and legs.

Last edited:
Thanks man. the prep is so much harder than I thought it would be. My coach is a guy I work with. Dave Conomon. He really knows his stuff and we just started a small team. Everyone has placed 1st or 2nd this year.

Thanks bro! I'm doing the All South Championships in St. Augustine, FL. Apparently it's a big show and it being my very first, I just want to get the experience of the stage and hopefully do well.

I chose physique since I've had 2 major injuries on each leg the past 2 years. They've fallen back in the heavy training and didn't grow much. So, like you said, I would be considered chicken legs up there. They're right around 27". Definitely would hold me back. I might transition over to bodybuilding in a year or two barring any further setbacks. After this show, my focus will be core and legs.

How tall are you?

That's because if you don't have at least 30" quads you DO have chicken legs :D (you didn't really expect me to suppress my inner douchebagish-weight lifter forever, did you?) :D

I'm 5'10"
Last weeks measurements were:
175lbs
30"waist
3% body fat done with calipers

I just printed the picture of you biting your shirt and put it on my wall as motivation because you're my hero. :D. I can't lose weight for nothing. I just lift heavy. I've been over 200 since I was 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dieting is unreal for show prep. Every time I watch one of my buddies do it over a 16 week duration it blows my mind. For the majority I have a decent metabolism rate but for show prep... yea right, I love ice cream and beer waaaaayyy too much! Not together though, that would be weird. :dontknow:

The dieting is unreal for show prep. Every time I watch one of my buddies do it over a 16 week duration it blows my mind. For the majority I have a decent metabolism rate but for show prep... yea right, I love ice cream and beer waaaaayyy too much! Not together though, that would be weird. :dontknow:

Maybe you aren't using the right flavor of ice cream? :dontknow::D

How many calories a day are you currently taking in?

You would have already seen these pictures if you were on Instagram.

Last edited:

16 weeks is the smart way to prep. I decided last minute and kinda as a joke at the 12 week mark. I was eating whatever I wanted, drinking beer nightly, pizza weekends...anything. It has been quite an adjustment.

How many calories a day are you currently taking in?

Right now, Probably around 12-1300 calories a day. the only carbs I am getting is from small amounts of mustard and toppings i have to add flavoring. I work 12 hour shifts at a hospital and run before and after these shifts. I feel like I'm a zombie.

Right now, Probably around 12-1300 calories a day. the only carbs I am getting is from small amounts of mustard and toppings i have to add flavoring. I work 12 hour shifts at a hospital and run before and after these shifts. I feel like I'm a zombie.
Surely you are talking about for second breakfast or third lunch? :D I'd be homicidal. Do you have an opinion on metabolic crashing?

Surely you are talking about for second breakfast or third lunch? :D I'd be homicidal. Do you have an opinion on metabolic crashing?

It is very real and a concern if not paid attention to. I have definitely changed my metabolism from this as the need to keep cutting carbs and calories have increased as my body adjusted to the lack of them. Once my show is over, I cannot jump back into a normal diet. I'll have my pizza celebration and then back to this diet as I slowly add more carbs and calories back into my diet so I don't overload my body.

So what are your daily meals? And do you stop lifting heavy when your on these diets?

Currently, my daily intake is:
6am: 8 oz egg whites
9am: 2 scoops of whey protein
Noon: 6 oz 99/1% lean ground turkey
3:30pm: 2 scoops whey protein
7:30pm: 6 oz 99/1 lean ground turkey
bedtime: 1 scoop casein, 1 scoop whey

I had to stop lifting heavy since I lost most of my strength and energy. My bench has fallen from ripping out 315 for 3 sets down to 135 for 15 reps for 3 sets. I just do light weights and high reps now until I can get more carbs and energy.

Maybe you aren't using the right flavor of ice cream? :dontknow::D

LOL! You know I was actually thinking after I posted that, that a scoop of vanilla ice cream probably wouldn't be half bad in something like a chocolate or coffeehouse porter! MMMMmmmm :drool: Might have to give that a try this weekend.... but first :canabis:

It is very real and a concern if not paid attention to. I have definitely changed my metabolism from this as the need to keep cutting carbs and calories have increased as my body adjusted to the lack of them. Once my show is over, I cannot jump back into a normal diet. I'll have my pizza celebration and then back to this diet as I slowly add more carbs and calories back into my diet so I don't overload my body.

Also, I'm not sure if you are going to go "NO CARB" for any duration but you have to be very careful not to eat to much to fast after the show. No joke my best friend did a way to hard core no carb coming into his first show. then immediately after the show we went out and he was gorging food down, he wound up with over feeding syndrome!!! His whole body started shutting down, I got a phone call at 4:00 in the morning, he was paralyzed and couldn't even get out of his bed. I literally had to throw him over my shoulder and carry him down a flight of stairs, rush him to the ER and then he had to stay in the hospital for 24 hours while hooked up to IV's to rehydrate him..... Scary shit!

Also, I'm not sure if you are going to go "NO CARB" for any duration but you have to be very careful not to eat to much to fast after the show. No joke my best friend did a way to hard core no carb coming into his first show. then immediately after the show we went out and he was gorging food down, he wound up with over feeding syndrome!!! His whole body started shutting down, I got a phone call at 4:00 in the morning, he was paralyzed and couldn't even get out of his bed. I literally had to throw him over my shoulder and carry him down a flight of stairs, rush him to the ER and then he had to stay in the hospital for 24 hours while hooked up to IV's to rehydrate him..... Scary shit!

Dude, that's serious!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back