Bonehead move..y not to talk on phone and fill fluid!

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I just eff'd up and poured my damn powersteering fluid (ATF+4 fluid) into my brake resevouir. It was only about a 1/4 - 1/3 of a qt. I did some research online and found out most people say it's not really a big deal since both ATF and brake fluids are made almost of same stuff...ASE Master Tech was the source.:dontknow:

I did drive the truck about a 1/2 mile to get home and hit the brakes about 6-7 times. Just wanted to know if I should be at all worried or if I should just pump out as much of the little resevouir bottle and refill it with DOT brake fluid.

Thank you in advance for your help:rock:

ALL BECAUSE THE DAMN PHONE AND LACK OF PAYING ATTENTION! :shot:

brake fluid is formulated to get really HOT without boiling. bubbles make the brakes no-workie anymore.

FATJACK said:
Drain the shit and do it right:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

:dito: :dito: :dito:

flush the whole system with fresh. TWICE your brakes will thank ya for it.

don't forget to check your p/s also :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

I gotta go with the majority. Time for a brake flush anyway :D

Im not so sure about how safe it is. I have seen motor oil in the brake fluid before and it swelled up all the seals and had no brakes. My recommendation would be to remove the master cylinder and clean it all out before bleeding the rest of the system. I know mixing fluids usually is very bad but i dont know how well these 2 will cope together and for how long. usually the seals dont like anything but brake fluid. As well as the o-rings inside the calipers.

Be very careful if you are going to drive it and watch for the dash light to possibly come on.

Seriously though here is a scientific explanation of how they might interact. This line was something to take notice of:

Contamination of brake fluid with power steering fluid can lead
to catastrophic consequences (1). Petroleum distillates deteriorate
rubber parts of the brake system and yield rapidly to a complete fail-
ure of the brake system. T

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...SyOhsS&sig=AHIEtbS7uIrtzdfgxTTKGx0OM-uv_ROG6w

OCBob said:
I think you'll be fine. Just make sure that you put some brake fluid in the power steering reservoir to equalize the entire system. ;) :p
Lol this was funny an Borden don't worry your old baby will be ok!

Thanks guys for aLl the input. I finally got ahold of my friend who's dad is also a Master mechanic for all vehicles and used to work at dodge. He said since there was less then a 1/4 qt used there should be very little concern or affect. He also said these fluids are very similar. Told me to simply take an absorbant towel or cloth and stick it into the resevouir if I want to get it out. He said that the ATF will float on top of DOT brake fluid. Sure as shit he was 100% correct after about 5 paper towel ends in the resevouir all the red ATF fluid was out and a clearer fluid (brake fluid) was appearing on the towel. Simple fix and it's great to know a well respected Master mechanic!!! I trust him very well
too because he's owned his shop for about 12 years now and has contracts with local municipality vehicles and the entire Seminole Indian Tribe vehicles!!

kickinassrt-10 said:

Thanks guys for aLl the input. I finally got ahold of my friend who's dad is also a Master mechanic for all vehicles and used to work at dodge. He said since there was less then a 1/4 qt used there should be very little concern or affect. He also said these fluids are very similar. Told me to simply take an absorbant towel or cloth and stick it into the resevouir if I want to get it out. He said that the ATF will float on top of DOT brake fluid. Sure as shit he was 100% correct after about 5 paper towel ends in the resevouir all the red ATF fluid was out and a clearer fluid (brake fluid) was appearing on the towel. Simple fix and it's great to know a well respected Master mechanic!!! I trust him very well
too because he's owned his shop for about 12 years now and has contracts with local municipality vehicles and the entire Seminole Indian Tribe vehicles!!
Have you seen some of those Seminole Tribal vehicles????:D :D :D :D

I had to replace every brake component that contained rubber on a customers rav4 he took it to a lube shop and they "topped up" his brake fluid. The complaint was after you drive for awhile it seems like the brakes are stuck on. This was true the fluid they had put in caused all the rubber in the brake system to expand and when the fluid was heated it expanded and applied his brakes. It cost a fair bit to fix for a mistake that shouldn't happen but the rav4 didn't have abs so it could have been worse.

So what I'm saying is get that fluid out asap unless you want to spend big $$$ on and abs pump,flex lines and calipers.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
kickinassrt-10 said:

No i know she's in good hands.

I did forget that it will float on top. Keep an eye on it for a while too. open the lid and check the rubber seal and if it shows signs of swelling you may need to do more. If you know the other fluid didnt get past the master cylinder i wouldnt flush it without emptying the master cylinder and refilling it first.

She's looking pretty good BTW!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back