Bouncing jiggling rear end

Sanguissaevus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 qc with 40000 miles. Im a new owner and dont have any reference to how the truck should feel and handle, but what im experiencing doesnt seem like it should be normal.

The issue appears to be coming from the rear end. The rear seems to bounce, jiggle, and vibrate excessively. Going over speed bumps, the rear pogo's a bunch like a bouncey ball, like the shocks arent even there. At highway speeds the rear will commonly get into a vibration, again like the shocks cant control the leaf springs. Accelerating or decelerating can sometimes stop this.

Ive looked at the shocks after a long drive and dont see anything leaking from them. Maybe they have long ago completely leaked out and previous washes have cleaned away the evidence?

I am not sure if what im experiencing is just a normal truck ride or if something is wrong. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, i forgot to mention, i was driving down the highway and hit a rough patch of road. Nothing crazy mind you but still a bit uneven. Anyways, i swear the rear skipped/hopped to one side. Felt dangerous. I thought that if it was,in the rain i might habe lost control.

So misleading.... I was so expecting a PAWG thread and supporting pictures. :D

Im relooking at my title and didnt even realize how what I wrote could be taken. Literally LOL! ahh, still dont know what pawg is...

is it lowered

Nice. Ill add that to my vocabulary.

No, its stock height. In fact, the truck is bone stock, down to the paper air filter.

That title is click bait. Way to get traffic. I know the stock ride is a bit rough 10" wide tires + stiff suspension. You might also want to check the quality of your rubber bushings 10 years can be hard on them. My traction bars also help with the rough ride. I don't know how the guys with lowered trucks deal it must be awful.

I would try to get truck in to a shop with a lift and get the weight off the rear
leaf springs to see if you may have broken spring ....
before you do that check the lug nuts with a fourway and be sure not loose on
one side!

I would change out the shocks just to be sure. Go OEM!

I have 120,000 miles on my '05 QC and have never touched the shocks. Rides as I bought it at 15,000 miles just a lot faster thanks to DR. Viper. Oh no, here we go again. My bad.

I have 120,000 miles on my '05 QC and have never touched the shocks. Rides as I bought it at 15,000 miles just a lot faster thanks to DR. Viper. Oh no, here we go again. My bad.

Most shocks are seriously worn at 60,000 plus. Glad yours are holding up but you might wanna check. Rarely are they immortal.

Most shocks are seriously worn at 60,000 plus. Glad yours are holding up but you might wanna check. Rarely are they immortal.

I agree with this my shocks are beat as well at 73k. I'm thinking of putting some cheap gabrials on it just to see how it feels till I feel like $500 on a new set of bilsteins.

Thanks for the input fellas. The truck has 40000 on the clock but i got it from Minnesota. Is all that salt hard on the shocks as well?

So, from what im hearing, the truck shouldnt be this bouncey no? This is an important point because if all that is normal then maybe the adjsutable set would be best. If the Bilstiens can control the rear then ill probably get a new oem set.

On the opposite end, how are those cheaper ones? Noticeably worse control or just as good as stock?

Cheap and these trucks do not seem to work well together. They are a pay to play type of ride. Sometimes that stings. I am of the opinion that doing something right one time will always be the cheapest, most efficient and reliable way to fix something.
I do not know about the cheap shocks first hand but I would find it hard to believe that they would be on par with shocks specifically designed for our trucks (Bilstien)

Thanks for the input fellas. The truck has 40000 on the clock but i got it from Minnesota. Is all that salt hard on the shocks as well?

So, from what im hearing, the truck shouldnt be this bouncey no? This is an important point because if all that is normal then maybe the adjsutable set would be best. If the Bilstiens can control the rear then ill probably get a new oem set.

On the opposite end, how are those cheaper ones? Noticeably worse control or just as good as stock?

Only get stock or QA1 so you can tailor the ride a bit

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back