Brake Rotor Wear Pattern

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me try and describe this the best I can. I'll post pics as soon as I find my camera :playingball: :hmmmm:, lol...

The front rotors on my 06 seem to be wearing odd, at least to me... Looking at the rotor face, there are two areas that don't seem to be worn:confused:. At the hub or rotor hat, a (approx.) 3/16" wide section is unworn. At the outer circumference of the rotor, a 1/16" section is unworn. It seems the pads are "cutting" a groove ( a wide one...) into the rotor face, not using the entire rotor face -- if that makes any sense?

Anybody else experience this type of wear? Is it normal? I checked the service manual and all it stated was rotor surface wear was stamped onto the rotor and to replace when the wear limit was exceeded? I didn't find any instructions regarding "abnormal" ( or normal?) wear patterns, as I attempted to describe here.

Last edited:
Rotors will only wear at the pad contact surface! So I am sure it is perfectly normal wear! Gonna be time to cut those rotors soon and install new low dust pads, if you are noticing a channel cut in the rotors as you have described

i'm runnin EBC pads & rotors.

i have the "gap" by the hat. but not at top.

just replaced the pads & resurfaced the rotors. they would not put them on the brake lathe because of the slots & dimples. used their flywheel surface machine.
best dam rotor resurface i have ever had. pads bedded in real quick with near like stock stoppin power, as far as feelin the grab

:rock::rock::rock:

Last edited:
that's why you're not "supposed" to turn the rotors on some vehicles...i.e. the truck... too much surface has to be cut down from the lathe to leave a "safe" area not prone to weakness, cracking, warping, etc...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back