Brake stuck

jimmyg79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm cruisin around yesterday and I smell burning brake pad. It starts getting worse so I pull over to check it out and my passenger side caliper is smoking a little and there is a lot of heat comming from the rotor. I get back home, jack up the truck and try to spin the tire, still realy tight. So I pop the caliper off and notice that the one piston is stuck, so I compressed back hooked the brake line back in and compressed it to see what it did and only one of the pistons engagaed. So what the hells the deal with this? Is there any way to free this thing up or do I have to buy a new Caliper? What a pain in the ass.

Had the same problem yesterday.

Pulled away from the light and it felt as if I had the emergency brake on....and then POP...POP...

Shortly after, while trying to make it home, i had to get on the brakes pretty had and the wheel locked up and almost put me into the curb.

well, she is parked in garage for now...waiting on a new caliper, which NW Dodge says is only $135.. :confused:

and its just my was luck, i was headed to Lonestar Motorsports Park tonight for the 60-130 event......boooooo me :argh:

I got in my truck yesterday evening to go to a movie and it had been sitting for about 3 days since I drove it last. When I let of the brake and pushed on the throttle the front left caliper was stuck and made a pop as it released. I checked it after driving a couple of miles and it didnt seem hot like it was sticking. Pretty wierd.

chad434sc said:
I got in my truck yesterday evening to go to a movie and it had been sitting for about 3 days since I drove it last. When I let of the brake and pushed on the throttle the front left caliper was stuck and made a pop as it released. I checked it after driving a couple of miles and it didnt seem hot like it was sticking. Pretty wierd.

Thats how it all started for me...

anyone else had similar issues :confused:

happened to me today,passenger side front. started smoking,really getting hot. had a tow on the way,but it came loose:dontknow: drove home, took the pads out and cleaned everything up and all seems fine now,what causes this?

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago passenger side locked up,took it to the dealership had them power flush the system so far its o.k.

this is becoming a common problem i just rebuilt my fronts i had one piston lock and not compress on drivers side then i had one not compress on passenger side.when i took apart calipers the ones that were shot had crud and corrosion all around the cylinder just before the seal which became too tight for piston to move freely'had to sand with emery cloth and polish,so far works great just checked them the other day they compress nicley.but im sure this problem will come back even with a new one.

Yep, wht FSTJACK said. Change your fluid regularly by flushing the system. Also IMOROTANT thing to note. If some of you are changing your pads, painting your calipers, if you remove the brake line or even crack the bleeder valve without pressure, it will SUCK (vacuum) air into the system. Your calipers rely on constant pressure provided by a air free line of hydraulic fluid to keep the pads extended against the rotor correctly. Air in the lines causes the piston to remain too far out and can get stuck especially if pads are worn.

is this a specific year thing? like only 04's or 05's and not 06's? im just tryin to do a TON of research b4 i buy

well drove around today...no probs. took a ballpeen with me so i could knock the crap outta' caliper if it stuck again.:D (got laid off in august, so taking it to a dealer is out of the question right now):(

Not trying to hijack but SANCHOBA arent you the guy with the custom sub box behind ur seats?? or am i way off? i remember seeing a red with white striped 10 with a killer system a few years back online and didnt know if it was you

2004ram1500 said:
Not trying to hijack but SANCHOBA arent you the guy with the custom sub box behind ur seats?? or am i way off? i remember seeing a red with white striped 10 with a killer system a few years back online and didnt know if it was you
no.... i'm tryin' to think who that was....it was a quadcab in canada:confused:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back