break in period

jtsdad13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the proper way to break in a new transmission. i just got her back this am (after 11 days at the stealership). i fought the urge to hammer down on the way home until i got some input from you guys. should i keep under certain rpm for certain miles? thanks in advance guys.

This is what I have been told from some other members here. This information is presented in good faith but in no way should it be intended as
a substitute for personal interpretations or judgement.
1. Place foot on brake
2 . rev engine to 5500 rpm
3 Place transmission in drive.
4. Make sure engine is at operating temperature.

i would change the juice right after the break in period which ever tranny ya have

Last edited:
Ken I dont know what the recommended break in period is for a trans. You owner's manual says 500 miles when the truck is new. The manual only references the engine but you would be safe using it as a guide since the new truck of course has a new trans. 500 miles isnt long for you..;)

i figured around 1000 to 1500. then maybe get the bands adjusted and fluid changed. i put roughly 800 miles monthly so it shouldnt take long. truck just didnt feel the same on the way home, guess it is just me. i will wait til i get her broke in and flog it a bit and she how she feels.

UPDATE!! after 500 miles without tune loaded and 450 miles with tune loaded and no wot runs with either. the new trans lasted about a week with about 10 hard runs thru 1st and 2nd gears, before 2nd gear f@#ed up. same shit as first one. wot thru first and half way thru 2nd (bout 3500 rpm) and its like it goes into neutral. wtf. any ideas. truck under warranty, but i'm gonna get tired of driving rentals. maybe time to look for something else:(

Dude, it doesnt matter if its an auto or a 6spd. What matters is if its a factory transmission or if its been reuilt. If its a factory transmission you dont have to wait ANY!!!! Now if its rebuilt, thats different as there is no way to tell how well it was put together. I wouldnt wait at all man. Go drive your truck.

i did drive it. now new trans is crapped out as well. if it wasnt under warranty and i wasnt building a house i would get a real trans. just kinda frustrated

Was it a stock rebuild, at deallership? I assume it is an auto, if so the only way to go is have it worked on buy some of the tranny guys that are mentioned on here. The autos have weak spots in factory form, that has to be changed. Just my 2 cents, if it helps.

jtsdad13 said:
UPDATE!! after 500 miles without tune loaded and 450 miles with tune loaded and no wot runs with either. the new trans lasted about a week with about 10 hard runs thru 1st and 2nd gears, before 2nd gear f@#ed up. same shit as first one. wot thru first and half way thru 2nd (bout 3500 rpm) and its like it goes into neutral. wtf. any ideas. truck under warranty, but i'm gonna get tired of driving rentals. maybe time to look for something else:(
Tell them you want another one. And dont tell them about your tune. ;)

Take it back as stated above...if the third one goes away...read your state lemon law...then decide what you want to do. Maybe trade it for a six speed manual?

Prof said:
Take it back as stated above...if the third one goes away...read your state lemon law...then decide what you want to do. Maybe trade it for a six speed manual?
I've noticed a trend lately ever since the economy went down, that all of our replacement parts were defective. Mainly motors and trannys. Might take a lil while to get a good one. :eek: I had a chrysler concorde on my lift a while back that needed a valve body, it took 5 valve bodies until i got a good one :mad: Chrysler knew there was 600+ bad valve bodies in the pipeline and had no way of knowing where they were. Well i found 4 of em :eek: :argh:

GADodgetech said:
I've noticed a trend lately ever since the economy went down, that all of our replacement parts were defective. Mainly motors and trannys. Might take a lil while to get a good one. :eek: I had a chrysler concorde on my lift a while back that needed a valve body, it took 5 valve bodies until i got a good one :mad: Chrysler knew there was 600+ bad valve bodies in the pipeline and had no way of knowing where they were. Well i found 4 of em :eek: :argh:

Sad story...but I feel that it may be a common issue in more industries than autos!

they dont know about the tune. just hate the truck being down. it my daily driver. it took forever to fix it last time. just hate driving a vehicle that i dont have 100% faith is sucks. no matter how many times i get it fixed. i will never be 100% confident that i can get on it and not break it. will have to check on the lemon law. anybody got any ideas on tn's law. i will definitely get it fixed just a matter of whether i keep once it is fixed or not. i never thought i would get rid of it. planned on giving to the kids. :(

jtsdad13 said:
they dont know about the tune. just hate the truck being down. it my daily driver. it took forever to fix it last time. just hate driving a vehicle that i dont have 100% faith is sucks. no matter how many times i get it fixed. i will never be 100% confident that i can get on it and not break it. will have to check on the lemon law. anybody got any ideas on tn's law. i will definitely get it fixed just a matter of whether i keep once it is fixed or not. i never thought i would get rid of it. planned on giving to the kids. :(
Is the truck still driveable? If it is have the dealer order the tranny and call you when its in, that way its only down a day, not a week.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back