Breather setup question

brassmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am up for helping these big engines breathe and already have a JMB catch can but I think I can improve on it a little more. I have been having some friends modding their setups and want to do it on mine. This is what I'm thinking but I have a couple questions:
Drill 5/8" hole in the valve covers
Over them have a -12an bung welded on
Have a catch can on each side mounted on fender well
stainless -12 line from valve cover to catch can
Have JMB powdercoat the covers and catch cans

My main question is can our valve covers be welded on? What are they even casted out of?

Has this ever been done?

also might look at just drilling and tapping the vavle cover and putting a AN fitting in it to run the lines. it would be a lot cleaner

tappin would be better.:rock:

duel JMB catch cans, one for each valve cover.:dontknow: :rock:

EED, a vendor here, has a nice set up.:rock: :burnout:

i run the JMB & Roe breather. does a fine job:rock: :congrats:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37685

Heres what I did with mine. I removed the factory hose barb fittings from the covers and had a machinist cut a -6 ORB thread into the cover. Then using a adaptor fitting from -6 ORB to a -6 AN. Then ran 2 lines from the valve covers to my JMB catch can.

In my opinon -12 is WAY to big (unless you are going to use a vacuum pump). In the factory hose barb fittings one of them if reduced to basically a pin hole on the inside of the fitting. Im not sure why they did that, but with what I did it increased the breather potential by probably 100X.

Also EED makes a cool looking breather setup, it costs alot but then again so did my setup by the time it was finished.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5724

yellowfever#154 said:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37685

Heres what I did with mine. I removed the factory hose barb fittings from the covers and had a machinist cut a -6 ORB thread into the cover. Then using a adaptor fitting from -6 ORB to a -6 AN. Then ran 2 lines from the valve covers to my JMB catch can.

In my opinon -12 is WAY to big (unless you are going to use a vacuum pump). In the factory hose barb fittings one of them if reduced to basically a pin hole on the inside of the fitting. Im not sure why they did that, but with what I did it increased the breather potential by probably 100X.

Also EED makes a cool looking breather setup, it costs alot but then again so did my setup by the time it was finished.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5724

nice set up :rock: :rock: :rock:

tried the EED link. page would not come up:(

-12 seemed a bit big to me also. -6 to -8 would be good for N/A i would guess.

which cover had the pin hole & was the other cover open all the way????

My memory kinda sucks but I think it was the straight fitting that had only the pin hole. Im pretty sure the 90 degree fitting was full flow. Ah hell, I could be backwards. I tried the EED link as well and it doesnt work, I dont remember anyone actually buying it because it cost alot of money.

thanks man.

i think your right on the EED breather. excellent system looks great & from what i've read works great. but the price is pricey

This may be a dumb question. Why do this. Does the catch can add horse power? I've read where alot of guys do this but I never understood why.

biggest reason is to keep the oil out of the intake.

been traced down to a very possibile cause of detonation leadin piston damage

floridaboy said:
This may be a dumb question. Why do this. Does the catch can add horse power? I've read where alot of guys do this but I never understood why.

Yes, oil vapor is VERY low octane and best kept out of the intake. Our factory breather system is piss-poor for a performance engine. :(

In a more serious performance application, cheap header evac systems or evac pumps remove crankcase pressure caused by blow-by in highly stressed engines and increase power as the pistons aren't fighting a cushion of pressurized air underneath them.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back