"Broke"s near stock SRT Ram beats me

Dave T(BADVENM)

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broke and I met up at Bandimere Sunday July 23 for "truckfest". This is his first time drag racing while for me...not exactly my first time.

Mods:
"Broke" has an '05 rc with 4.56 gears, Magnaflow, Fram Air Hog filter, Boomer lowering kit and 1st gen shifter. Stock tires, stock air pressure
"DaveT BADVENM" has an '04 with Paxton, Belanger headers, custom Corsa, no cats, stock shifter, 4:11 gears, stock tires, rears lowered to about 24psi, blah blah blah

Both "broke" and my 2nd run of the day were against eachother. Good thing. Temperature around 87 with density altitude of 8200 feet. Track elevation 5860 feet. The results were shall we say suprising.

Heres the breakdown:
R/T, 60', 1/8, 1/8mph, 1000', 1/4, 1/4mph

Broke: .169, 2.419, 9.799, 75.49mph, 12.570, 14.900, 97.23mph
Me : .421, 2.295, 9.719, 73.28mph, 12.574, 14.938, 96.53mph

We were/are at a loss as to what happened. It was as if we were both stock. I did verify that I was getting boost on another run and even on that he was 3mph faster then me. Was my truck pulling out so much timing (less for brokes truck) that it led to these results? I didnt see any splits or cracks in any hoses.

Anyway, congrats to "broke" for a great run...we were both suprised at the outcome. CarDude came up later to say hi...it was great meeting him as well.

On the way home I did get into it with a previous gen Mustang GT convertible. He floored it around 55 mph and of course I was in the prime range of 3rd gear. Passed him (had to go around him) and by 130 mph he was comfortably behind me. It was nice to get that race out of my system. The
C5 Vette convertible didnt want any action :(

Talked to a few Lightning guys. Several of them were in the 12s with one particular lightning running in the mid 11s. Mind you this is at 5860 feet elevation with a density altitude of 8200-8700 all afternoon. Very impressive!! We'll post some pictures of our get together a bit later. I have an e-mail out to Mark J at Woodhouse to see if he can give some info as to my Paxton/truck "issues".

Dude you have something wrong. Both trucks have the same elevation factored in. If the stock SRT was running with you or beating you, you have a problem. Should not have even been a close race.

Oh, and both of you need to work on your launch, LOL. Altitude isn't going to cause a 2.4 sixty. I am getting a 2.0 sixty on stock rubber with a stock motor (PCM, Headers).:)

Street racer Kill Joy

I am going to put my nickle in again about street racing.

I am not singling anybody out here. This is one of my trigger subjects. I hate illegal street racing beacuse it kills, hurts, maims and ruins peoples lives. If you don't agree with me that's up to you.

Street racing kills hundreds every year and injures and maims thousands.

I don't want to see any of our truck family and friends hurt or killed. We are a special group and all of you are so precious to me that I just can't imagine losing anyone of you.

You probably say "it can't happen to me I am a good driver". Every person that killed somebody in a street race has thought the same thing. You may be the best driver in your state but can you stop or avoid that old bastang that can't see you and pulls out in front of you when your doing 130 MPH.

They don't keep good statistics on fatilites involving illegal street racing. The last there are were from 2001 and those were 50 crashes per 1000. That means 5% of the races end in tragedy. Those are pretty F**ng bad odds in my book. Street racing has also gotten much more prevelant since 2001 so those odds may even be worse.

I will get off my soap box now but when this comes up again I will be right back on it. I am sure that this post will not make me popular with some of you, but please I beg of you to look at the possible consequenses of your brief moments of fun. If you killed someone street racing, could you live with that?

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/personal_injury/auto/racing-accidents.html

my 2 worthless pennies....

"Broke: .169, 2.419, 9.799, 75.49mph, 12.570, 14.900, 97.23mph
Me : .421, 2.295, 9.719, 73.28mph, 12.574, 14.938, 96.53mph"

Looking at what happened, both trucks look very similar....

Your trap speeds can tell a lot about how much power you have, and your numbers look closer to stock then forced induction. I would have the truck looked at and see whats going on w/ the tuning or possibly another issue....Do you have a boost gauge? Is the best slipping and not giving you your 7-8psi? I would double check everything...

-Red

I was reaching 5500 rpm right at the 1/4 mile mark in 3rd gear. Boost gauge was showing nearly 6psi. The dyno sheet from a month or so ago didnt reach 7 til 6K rpm...so it would seem everything in that regard is fine. However, it still doesnt explain how a near stock truck stayed with or beat me under the most ideal of conditions. If we both didnt run eachother I may have never thought there is/was a problem.

Did u miss shifts or somethin?? Man....that does NOT look right. You need a Chris Jensen appt. Ebenz just got hi HP bumped up to 673rwhp.....thats a major increase from you with not many more mods....Look at Patricks sig....He runs 3 seconds+ faster than that with the SAME mods but slicks. Somethin aint right bro....call Chris he will fix u up...(Actually u gotta go thru Dan)

No doubt somethings not right with that truck. Even the other truck had good mods and times should have been faster from what i gather.

Im not sure what elevation the track is where i run, its in Virginia so probally at sea level. But i clicked off 9.1 in a stock truck. With traction issues.

Both of you guys should blow my doors off. :dontknow: Maybe the elavatuion is a bigger issue then thought ?

edited, 9.1 in 8th :)

Last edited:
I'm awaiting some guidance from Woodhouse. Things just dont add up. I can understand pulling some timing but not 200hp worth.

NAAHHHHH....you got beat by a stock truck and your rt,60',etc was about the same as him...you arent making power. you should be in the 12's with just the Paxton bolted on....NOTHING else. High 12's anyway

Bro, I'm not trying to insult you, so please take this as enlightenment, not criticism. I ran my truck, completely stock 04, on a hot day(around 90) my first day ever racing it and was still able to click off a 13.78 and multiple 104+ MPH runs while still losing traction off the line!! You definitely have something wrong, even with the altitude correction a supercharger should be pushing you into low 13s. I would be PISSED as hell if I blew 7K and didn't at least drop 1-1/2 seconds from this time. Was this your best run of the day, or did you simply run just one time? That day, my first run was a 16 somethin'. It took a couple of runs to get er down into the 13s as I got to know the truck. Perhaps you need more wheel time at the track? But I still contend that there is likely something wrong, otherwise you would have mentioned that you had major traction issues or something of the like. Since you made no mention of that, I would assume you had good traction? In that case, the motor is not even making 500 horsepower. I would check to see if the supercharger is doing something screwey to the engine management system that is causing it to take a bunch of timing out.

First Question...Are you using anything less than 92 octane premium fuel?
Second Question...Do you hear any pinging or knocking under heavy acceleration or up hills?
Third Question....Does the truck feel like it has the same amount of power at 3000 RPM as it does at 5000 RPM?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you should definately add some cat-safe octane booster to your fuel and see if that make a SOP difference. If it does, you definately have an engine management/tuning problem. If that makes no noticable difference, you probably have some sort of mechanical problem, like a leaky blower, or bad cooler, or something of the like.

Hope this helps guide you a little.

Greg

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back