Broken B&M shifter bolts

WA 2 FST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I was driving and shifting normally, and the shifter acted like it was just flopping around in my hand. Turns out the bottom of the two bolts that connected the shifter shaft to the handle had broken off (so the handle was just pivoting on the one bolt). It had not backed out, but rather it literally sheared off in the handle.

I didn't install the shifter (was in the truck when I bought it...had 6800 miles, now it has 8300 miles), but it is amazing to me that B&M would be so cheap as to use stainless bolts no better than maybe a Grade 5.

Went down to an industrial supply house and picked up two Grade 8 bolts, same dimensions as what went in there. Shouldn't have the problem anymore.

And before anyone thinks I shift like a gorilla... I'm 5'6"/150lbs. Yes, I do shift the thing with some effort when I'm accelerating hard. You have to be quick, fast and hit the shifts with some pop if you want to upshift quickly. But, at 43, I'm no longer in the same shape as my college playing days.

So a big thumbs-down to B&M cutting corners.

I would imagine I'm not alone, but thought I'd share in case someone runs into this issue.

6th trip to the track and sheard bottom bolt clean in two. I was halfway down the track when it snapped, my knuckles hit the console, and i began the usual response to somethin breakin the night i decide to drop weight by taking out the tool kit:D

6th trip to the track and sheard bottom bolt clean in two. I was halfway down the track when it snapped, my knuckles hit the console, and i began the usual response to somethin breakin the night i decide to drop weight by taking out the tool kit:D

Yep...that's what happened to me. Except I was just at a stoplight trying to put it in 1st. Hand goes to the floor... yikes! I literally had just fired the truck up 5 minutes prior, so I was not beating on it... but obviously it had started breaking during some prior adventure out.

I think the Grade 8 bolts will take care of it.

Yep ... B&M ... same thing here, Banged Second, Broke top bolt stick fell forward, Kinda hard to shift with just the short piece coming out of the top. But you can do it with a little muscle. Had to chase the threads with a tap to clean up a couple burrs, New hardened bolts installed, with a spare in the center rest.

Jim

You guys are soooo strong

If you have the aluminum lever count on it breaking too!!

I don't know if I have that or not. It's black.

I sold my stock lever... probably a bad idea?

Jim... I didn't pull the boot off when I was driving, so I was having to put pressure on the upper lever... kind of side-loading it, in order to get into the gears. I was less than a mile from home.

When it happened it scared me. I was thinking I had broken the lower shift arm off clean. That would have been a real problem.:p

I don't know if I have that or not. It's black.

I sold my stock lever... probably a bad idea?

Jim... I didn't pull the boot off when I was driving, so I was having to put pressure on the upper lever... kind of side-loading it, in order to get into the gears. I was less than a mile from home.

When it happened it scared me. I was thinking I had broken the lower shift arm off clean. That would have been a real problem.:p

The B&M levers are not super bad to break but several have done this. Cherry Performance offers a replacement steel lever that ain't gonna break.

helll i went threw 20 bolts till i found some hardened counter sunk ones ,,,those have been on there for 8 months now ,,nothing like shifting to third and you bang your knukkles on the dash :mad:

helll i went threw 20 bolts till i found some hardened counter sunk ones ,,,those have been on there for 8 months now ,,nothing like shifting to third and you bang your knukkles on the dash :mad:

And that's what I have now. This supply shop has everything, and I knew I could get something from them that would be an exact replacement, but not stainless steel.

Tony... if I break the shaft, I'll be buying a new shifter from you.:rock:

I've got over 13,000 miles on mine and haven't that problem. I did melt the gasket that seals it to the trans. The bolts came loose but none broke.

just get a venom series and the worries of all the above are over;)

Thats the plan Tony, I was plannin on gettin more for my truck while im deployed but i figured if i save all the cash while im here ill can get this thing paid off and finally make a full paycheck again:rock:........................................but i did cave on gettin Tyler's JMB N2O setup

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back