Broken Trans...Help...

jasontiff

Reaction score
I picked up an '04 a few weeks ago. I thought the truck may have an aftermarket, weighted clutch because of the chatter from the trans tunnel (I've had one on my last 2 Vipers) and was told the X-Metal shifter I had was noisy, so I chalked it up to normalcy for the truck. I swapped for a stock Hurst (thanks, VENOMOUS1) and the noise died down but was still present. I'd always had to try twice to get the truck in 6th and that persisted even after the shifter swap. That was the first indicator of a weakened transmission.

On the way to an event today I was getting on it a little bit and I got a burning clutch smell along with a TON of noise from the trans. I lost reverse and when I'd go to put it in gear it'd take a few tries. Starting out I'd slowly let the clutch out and it wouldn't move...then it'd CLUNK and start moving begrudgingly.

Bluebonnet Dodge was open and swapped my clutch for me (2 hours and $1061 later) and the starting/stopping issues are gone, but they said my flywheel was pretty blued and it wouldn't hurt to put in a new throwout bearing while I was swapping the flywheel. The truck drove but reverse is still gone and 5th and 6th went on my drive home.

I'm new to the boards, but I know in the Viper circles there are a few preferred vendors or sites that are usually pointed to with things like this. I'm going to need new internals for my trans (I had the T56 on my 1993 Viper rebuilt locally) and/or possibly a completely different unit (depending on downtime with the rebuild, since this is my daily driver). I'll also be looking to replace the flywheel (nothing fancy, just stock) and possibly the slave (TexasTonka told me to go with the metal Viper version, not the cheap plastic truck version).

That said, if anyone has any spare parts laying around please PM me, or if anyone has a recommendation on where to look I'd be most indebted. Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back