Broken Valve Spring

dfauerbach said:
Got it back today 20 springs and 20 pushrods all covered thank god. seems to be more responsive now as well or it could just be because i had a 4 cyl jeep as a loaner.....
Great news :rock:

Please excuse my ignorance if it comes across that way, but I was wondering if a broken spring would cause oil to get pass the valve and into the combustion chamber of the cylinder affected ? :dontknow:

silversrt said:
Please excuse my ignorance if it comes across that way, but I was wondering if a broken spring would cause oil to get pass the valve and into the combustion chamber of the cylinder affected ? :dontknow:

Nope. The valve stem seal is not related to the spring.

Well I guess I better temper that reply. It is possible that the broken end of a valve spring could nick a seal, but the odds are against it.

dfauerbach said:
Got it back today 20 springs and 20 pushrods all covered thank god. seems to be more responsive now as well or it could just be because i had a 4 cyl jeep as a loaner.....

That's great news.:rock:

The Jeep is probably the reason for the responsiveness.:D

Did they say if it was an intake or exhaust spring? I'm guessing exhaust since it didn't hit the piston and cause further damage.:dontknow:

Silverback said:
Nope. The valve stem seal is not related to the spring.

Well I guess I better temper that reply. It is possible that the broken end of a valve spring could nick a seal, but the odds are against it.

Thanks for the help.I have a honda thats burning oil in one cylinder and fouling the plug rather rapidly.I was hoping that there was perhaps another possibility (such as a valve spring) other than the rings.:(

silversrt said:
Thanks for the help.I have a honda thats burning oil in one cylinder and fouling the plug rather rapidly.I was hoping that there was perhaps another possibility (such as a valve spring) other than the rings.:(

Okay, lets see if we can diagnosis this here.

1. Does it smoke when you first start it and then go away?

2. Or does it smoke when you are moving and let off the throttle?

If it's the first, it's probably the valve seal. The oil run downs the valve stem when you shut the engine off and then when you start it up it burns.

In the second instance when you let off the throttle, the vacuum in the cylinders sucks the oil past the rings and burns it.

Make sense?

mmmmtorque said:
$4,000 !! :laugh: :bird: Does that also involve getting a Ferrari F40 for 2-3 days while they are working on it :dontknow:

I'll do it for 3500 :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back