Burke Rice died Oct-24-09; wanted you all to know

Burkerice07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am his best friend and lived with him the past few years and wanted you guys to know about his death. It was a wierd situation, he was building a jacobs ladder and was electricuted, died instantly. I found him no more than 5 min after it happened and administered CPR but was unable to revive him. They called his death 7:00pm.

He died doing what he loved (tinkering), and any of you who had dealings with him know he was full of life and humor. I'm sure he is laughing about how he died even now.

His mother is trying to sell his truck and doesn't want it to go to someone local in Sumter SC (she doesn't want to see it out and about). If any of you know anyone, I have placed an add in the sell section. The truck has about 30K miles on it and is in great shape, given clean bill of health by Dodge dealer. She is asking $25K for it. Call me if you have any questions 864-542-6690, my name is Mike.

He was fond of you guys, and I was also. I am on the Corvette Forums and lets just say they don't appreciate our videos like you guys do. Hopefully you will gain another member once the truck sells.

Mike,

Please pass along the love and good wishes of everyone here on this forum.....

Burke was just a kid- and it's always a profound tragedy and heartache when someone (especially a son) dies so young and so quickly......

If you would be so kind as to give his Mom and Dad a hug from us...... all of us.

May God comfort their souls in this time of grief....

D

Very sorry to hear about this. Burke was a nice kid!
I talked to him a couple of times, and we had fun joking around in the Flash Chat section!

RIP Burke, may God comfort your soul, and watch over those you left behind.

Burkerice07

Member Number: 2136

A Bit about Myself Burkerice07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, ive been a Member for a few months now. And I thought I would try to establish myself as one of the "Well Known’s." My name is Burke Rice, Im 19 and live in South Carolina. I am a Student at Central Carolina Technical College studying for my Associates in science, and my Automotive mechanics Degree.

My passion is Working on and restoring Vintage and Rare Automobiles. Below I will include some pictures of myself and my 5 Cars. My Parents have ALLOT of money, so in case you’re wondering im not a Drug Dealer.

This has been an Awesome Website; anybody who dabbles in old cars knows that after a long day driving something Vintage. It really leaves you wanting something a bit more reliable. That’s why I bought My SRT-10. A 2004 Black RC with only 8000 miles, 4000 from me in only 4 months. I love old cars and own a 1974 VW Bus, 1982 Porsche 928 S4, and a 1986 Yamaha Virago 750cc Motorcycle. I try my best to turn a Profit, but most of the time when I do something, it is usually with junk parts that I find lying around. The picture of the old Dakota was my Preveous Dodge, and yes it dose have a Train Horn and Bull Horns.

Just trying to establish myself as one of the Locals, I check this website EVER day, and could have done anything to my truck so far without you guys Help {especially you, SilvrSRT10} you have all been a Huge Help. And I can Promise you I will be a member here for a VERY long time...

attachment.php

Last edited:
RIP Burke. I don't remember how I helped you but glad I was there to assist.

rest in peace my friend... its just so unreal to think that people we talk to online will leave one day and never return

From staff reports

A 21-year-old Sumter man died Saturday evening after handling an electrical device that apparently shocked him.

Stephen "Burke" Rice, 21, of 418 Rogers Ave., was electrocuted by a homemade electrical device about 7:30 p.m.

Sumter County Coroner Harvin Bullock described the device as a "Jacob's ladder."

"It appears that there wasn't enough insulation on the switch," he said. "It appears that the current passed through his body and stopped his heart."

Jacob's ladder is the informal name of a high-voltage traveling arc. An electrical device can produce the continuous strands of sparks, and the electrical arc typically rises upward between two wires.

A native of Spartanburg, Rice graduated from Blythewood High School. He was a student at Central Carolina Technical College, where he was pursuing a degree in criminal justice, according to his parents' neighbor Linn Richardson.

"He has come to my house and fixed cars and ovens without even blinking his eye," Richardson said. "He's somebody you want your children to grow up just like."

Richardson said Rice had already received a degree in automotive repair but was planning to become a police officer.

"He was truly gifted to do anything. He had already gotten one degree and had come back for a second," she said. "He was restoring a 1959 truck this weekend. He's amazing."

Rice was an active member of First Presbyterian Church's youth group, with whom he went on a ski trip and a mission trip to Mexico. He was the son of Angela Burke Durrett and Stephen Mark Rice and the stepson of First Presbyterian Pastor Dr. Mark Durrett.

"He was just a wonderful, Christian, loving, young man," Richardson said.

According to a police report, Rice was lying unconscious on his back when he was found by his roommate.

Bullock said Rice was transported to Tuomey Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

"It was just a tragic chain of events," Bullock said.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church, with the Rev. Josie Holler and Dr. Brad Smith officiating.

The family will receive friends following the services in the fellowship hall and other times at the home of his mother and step-father, 405 Veranda Drive.

Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Nazareth Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Moore, Spartanburg County.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back