Burning smell

v10viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a search before I ask this, and only came up with it being a clutch problem. The only time I have a pretty strong burning smell is when I'm backing it in the garage...is it because I'm having to almost consistently use the clutch and brake as I back up (in order not to kill it)? or is it because it has such low miles on it that it is being broke in and the smell will hopefully eventually go away? I tried to tell where the smell was coming from but I couldn't tell, but it was a strong burning smell.

clutch break in is about 500 miles... everything should be broken in on that truck. (unless it was new when you got it.) When I had a new clutch put in I could barely smell it.

clutch break in is about 500 miles... everything should be broken in on that truck. (unless it was new when you got it.) When I had a new clutch put in I could barely smell it.

Well the thing is, the truck is almost 8 years old and only has 3,700 miles on it. So if the truck sat for a pretty good while without being driven, could that be a problem? I'm not sure how long it sat without at least being started up or anything

I had to back mine into my previous garage similar to what it sounds like you have too. What I had to do was also hard on the clutch, but I was always careful not to over do it. I had to come at the door at a angle, then after the back end was inside I had to flip the mirrors in and then continue backing it in. The door was too narrow and the driveway angled badly. Sounds like you just need to be quicker to release the clutch before it gets to hot. Can you line it up better and get more momentum before getting to the door? That works too but it all depends on your reversing skills so you dont hit anything.

Gotta be careful slipping the clutch on these here trucks. Will eat em up in a hurry.

Well the thing is, the truck is almost 8 years old and only has 3,700 miles on it. So if the truck sat for a pretty good while without being driven, could that be a problem? I'm not sure how long it sat without at least being started up or anything

Oh for some reason I had 15k miles in my head. But regardless 3,500 everything should still be broken in. And I assume there not all easy miles... common, no one buys one of these and doesn't put there foot down.

But i have a small garage as well thats tough to get into... i just lightly release the clutch till it grabs then push it back in as soon as i start rolling (no throttle). that way your not riding it the whole time.

You guys are right and I think that's my problem...as I'm backing up, I'm either lightly holding the clutch in the whole time and when I have to really slow down as I'm backing up, I have to push it all the way in to keep it from dying on me. My driveway does angle pretty bad at the middle point, so I am constantly slightly holding my clutch it because at no point do I have enough momentum to keep the truck going at a pace that wouldn't require me to. All in all though, is this probably what is causing the strong burning smell? I'm guessing so since it's the only time I smell it when I'm backing in the driveway into the garage.

time to change the slave!! or there isn't enough shims behind the slave. if you hold the clutch to long things stretch and you lose throw. makes the disc contact the pressure plate . if you pulled it out of gear you probably couldn't get it back in.

Pull forward into the garage :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back