Buyer Beware

I was ghosted for over 3 weeks before i sent the trans to Rockland.
After i replaced the trans i posted, that was another couple of weeks.
At this point i could care less what the seller or builder say/want to do.
If people dont voice problems then everyone keeps thinking things are fine. Who knows if or how many others have been screwed because they didn't want to cause waves.
I'm sure people will still deal with them, their choice based on the facts.
In the 50-60s they used heavy gear oil. Modern manuals use much lighter fluid.
ATF4
royal purple synchromax
Syntorque
Etc
T56 lubrication is based on a spash system inside the trans, 80-90 gear oil doesn't splash.
If you get the chance compare the location of the main shaft, the fill hole and then remove the 8 bolts for the rear case - 5th/ 6th and reverse all sit higher than the main shaft, 1-4 gears, fluid fill hole.
I tend to agree and I still and always read reviews and try to check out the sellers .. It’s a good policy to try and verify everything and everyone these days as best you can . I have now idea of the process of your purchase of the trans but it appears it involved 3 different businesses..
You made the purchase from Dan is what I think ,,, then after that it went to 2 others .. the rebuilder and whatever the other was ! How are all responsible for the trans ? The rebuilder appears to me to be the responsible party that took the trans from Dan to rebuild it .. That to me puts the ball on the rebuilder . Looking at the pics it appears to me that there was at the least something done to the trans ,, look at the , my guess some silicone squeezed out at the casing parts and some bolts I see also have definitely had wrench marks .. if the case had a crack and caused the leak of fluid then the rebuilder missed that possibly ! You stated you questioned the rebuild yet still went forward ,, That to me would have been a red flag at the start . Personally over my decades I’ve never seen a trans rebuilt that came filthy or not painted.. what vehicle did the trans come out of , was it a rebuilt core from who knows where ? Did it come from a wrecked vehicle ? There are lots of questions that I would want answers to before of putting down a large sum of dollars on any purchase . But without knowing the process of all the venders I have no idea how the did their businesses. I would be looking at the rebuilder as the first culprit for lack of a word !

As I stated my knowledge on the fluid used is not known to me ,, I will say gear oil 90 etc weight was used long after the 50’s and 60’s . I was an Auto mechanic in the mid 70’s and into the late 80’s .. all was gear oil. My 87 ford van and my 1987 both used the old gear oil .. I have a 2002 dakota but have never even checke the trans fluid or the rear end fluid .. I do and have change the rear end fluid on the 10 with the royal purple ! I’m glad you brought this more to my attention and I will be checking out the Dakota trans and rear fluids hahaha !

Now the question is have you fixed or replaced the trans now ? Or tried to repair the damage and possibly get up and running with a decent trans now .

Anyway you look at it it SUCKS !

As some of you know, I swapped my QCs 48re for a "rebuilt" T56 in October 2023.
Fast forward 2 months, 2000 miles later, after a hard 400 mile run from California, I'm on my way to work (83 miles) when the clutch pedal starts vibrating and the trans starts rattling.

Get it home to find the damper ring has broken off, its 2 qts low on fluid, rear seal is still intact. Disassembly shows that 2 of 3 caged bearings are completely gone, 1 is melted into Reverse gear. The spacer holding the 5th/6th gear cluster in is welded to the main shaft.

I had my doubts about the quality of the rebuild as the case was filthy, even the bolts looked like they had never been removed. I was assured "all transmissions come back this way". Then there was the tag wired to the trans specifying 75-90 gear oil. Never in my srt-10 ownership have i used anything but atf4+ and royal purple synchromax but thats what the builder speced so thats what I used. It has been documented from the supplier that several transmissions had this tag installed when "rebuilt".

After a month of discussing everything with the "rebuilder" and the supplier where I was assured that "we won't **** on anybody" I have been suddenly ghosted for the last 7 weeks.

I bought this T56 in a combo deal with a lot of other stuff so I don't have an exact cost. But I have been told by the supplier that he sells a rebuilt trans for $3500 and a $2000 core charge (I had no core), so thats $5500.
Even though I don't believe I've done anything wrong, I was willing to accept a lesser amount ($2000) in the interest of maintaining a civil relationship. I no longer care about maintaining a civil relationship.

This is a warning to anyone in the market for a "rebuilt " T56. I can't in good conscience remain quiet or ever recommend Dan Palacino as a reliable supplier or Lindseys Ring & Pinion / J-Mac Fab & Suspension LLC as a rebuilder. Both from South Carolina.
Pictures are attached.
Buyer Beware.
Wow did you contact X2 builders for a OEM?

And a simple google search will bring up many sites that cover the differences and why the correct product is infact imperative to use for the best outcome. All fluids are not the same

Already got a tr6060 from rockland standard, they have their own private label fluid that is about as thin as atf4
Cool ,, keep us up with the Rockland .. glad to see you got it going ,, just to bad the previous BS had to happen ..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back