Buying SCT advice

atomipunk

Reaction score
Finally decided to get a SCT for my 05 QC. Going to go with ROE. The only other mod on the otherwise stock truck is a K&N CAI. Probably going to order the exhaust cut outs from Stinker, for the times I want it loud.

My question is what types of tunes are you guys getting? 93 oct? what else? I have 100 oct available down the street, has anyone run 100oct? Advisable?

Thanks

With the little experience i have on the subject, ill give my opinion.

You must get a 170 thermostat, Gutting those cats will make a world of difference and you will get more results from the tune.

If you planning on a few more minor mods IE: Headers, Throttle Body, CatBack, get that first then get it tuned. It will save more money in the long run.

If you want to just get a tune for your CAI, im sure Sean Roe has a tune already ironed out for the common mildly modified truck. But without a doubt, if your going to invest in a tune, you want something with big results. But be aware aggressive tunes increase risk. Getting one custom dyno'd for your rig can ensure safety. and a more precise a/f and timing tables.

If you plan on racing it often (careful, expensive shit breaks and wears out) you may want a higher octane tune. But i would go with a setup for a higher octane than 100. There is C16 and 118 octane available in most areas for bigger gains. This also merits, more attention to safety, and again i would encourage a custom dyno tune with the fuel in the tank.

If your not going to race it but occationally, and dont see yourself buying your expensive local 100 fuel often, you may only need the street tune. I dont know of too many people that swap between their tunes if they are not running race fuel.

I like 3 tunes. (1) bad fuel or Economy tune (2) 93 octane tune (3) 118 octane. But seeing as i wont be at the track anymore but 3-4 times a year. Im just going to get a single custom street tune.

Last edited:
A useless visual reference on the different octanes of fuel.

Jeff fairly well covered it...as far as octane get whatever is sold in your area. I have a 100 octane tune on mine and it makes a big diffrence...stay away from the leaded racing fuels as they will kill your cats and eventially take out your O2 sensors. You can get 100 unleaded race fuel if someone sells it in your area. There are also higher octane unleaded race fuels.

the only other tune you may want to add is a "valet" tune for when you drop off your truck for any kind of service & ease your concerns about someone racin' your truck....... i have mine limited to 2500rpm's. :D

moparracing said:
the only other tune you may want to add is a "valet" tune for when you drop off your truck for any kind of service & ease your concerns about someone racin' your truck....... i have mine limited to 2500rpm's. :D

:rock: :rock: :rock:

But I never leave my truck, usually watching them work on it in the bay. if they need to test drive it, i ride shotgun or drive.

Go with the usual 91 93 and a custom tune for future mods!!! Make sure you buy new or truly reset to stock!!!

I was looking into the roe, But went with B&G was 300.00 cheaper for me. I can def say out of all my mods tune was the best so far.

kickinassrt-10 said:
Make sure you buy new or truly reset to stock!!!
if it ain't, do your homework or don't come cryin' when thing's don't go your way, right whininassrt-10 ?? ........ ;) :rolleyes: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

i'm also runing a SCT.. i'm running alot of diffrent stuff to... the reasons i like the SCT is... over time you truck changes no matter how we look at it engine parts gets worn... well with the SCT you can retune it.. with say a B&G your stuck with that tune... Me personaly i've got a 93 Octane tune thats about 5 or 6º advanced and i've got an N20 Tune that is -4º decressed i've also got a tune that shuts the whole fuel system down.. you turn the key on everything is normal.. truck will turn over but not fire.. the reason behind this is.. well a few months back i was in a tight spot an well.... the repo man don't want a truck that dosn't run hahaha.. i love my SCT it makes me feel safer about running the truck harder the best way to tune these trucks are Dyno tuning..hands down also if you have a A/F ratio gauge you can tell your tuner what your truck is doing and have it retuned

Before I went with the s/c I just had headers, 180 thermo, ram air and seans 93 oct I dynoed at 479Hp and 525tq so. Oh buy a new SCT less headaches

I've run the 93 tune for 10 months now on 92 octane, runs great. Seans tunes is awsome and the SCT will still allow the computer to pull timing if it needs to. You can look into mixing in a little bit from a higher octane or trying the octane boosters, I've never tried either yet.

Back