Buying truck from across border

ontariobee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering who all out there from the US has bought a vehicle from Canada. What is all involved in doing it? any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

I imported my truck from Canada to the US when I moved here.
My experience with the SRT was not as smooth as it was for my other truck I owned at the time and had already imported a couple months before. But that was due to the Customs agent I got at the border.

For the SRT I was asked for a letter from Chrysler Canada certifying the Emissions were up to US standards. I did not have a letter and did not know I needed one since I didn't need it for my other vehicle. (like I said, it depends which agent you get) They then gave me a list of brokers to call until I found one willing to help me on a holiday since it was July 4th. I found one, it cost me $450 and I had to send him 3 pictures. One of the door sticker. one of the truck, and one of the odometer. After a few hours they sent some paperwork to Western Union on the US side and I was allowed to walk into the US to pick them up. Once I had those back at the border crossing I was allowed to carry on with my trip.

Then in GA. I had to get the vehicles emissions tested, have all my paperwork in order and then the police had to come to my house, run the VIN and sign off on everything. After that I took the paperwork to the county tax office and applied for GA titles.

It was a pain in the ass.

ok thanks. but given all the correct info and research done prior to crossing would have went better i'm guessing. My truck was imported from US to Canada in 2009, so shouldn't be much of a problem going back.

if you don't mind me asking, was your truck modified or stock when you brought it into Canada in 2009, I am looking at buying a truck from the states that is modified and just curious if the border officers will make a big deal about that.

if you don't mind me asking, was your truck modified or stock when you brought it into Canada in 2009, I am looking at buying a truck from the states that is modified and just curious if the border officers will make a big deal about that.

A dodge dealer brought it across. And its not modified either

ok thanks. but given all the correct info and research done prior to crossing would have went better i'm guessing. My truck was imported from US to Canada in 2009, so shouldn't be much of a problem going back.

For the SRT having the letter from Chrysler would have helped. But if I would have gotten a better agent it would have went better at the border.
A couple months earlier I was driving an 08 Dakota pulling a trailer with my Harley and all they wanted to do was see the VIN and they let me go. I did not have any letter from Chrysler
Mods on the bike didn't matter, no emissions on Motorcycles. Probably would have made a difference if the trucks were modified.

For Federal rules
Go to Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and search for Vehicle Import Guidelines for vehicles imported from Canada.
Vehicles under 25 years old need to be CMVSS compliant, and not be a salvage, repaired or reconstructed vehicle.
It also states a Bond of 150% of the value is required but I did not have to do that.
Then each state is different as well.
For GA. I needed form T-22B for certification by a Law enforcement Officer and a bunch of other crap.

If my truck had been modded it would probably have been rejected.
Best bet is to call the county Tax office and ask

Last edited:

I wouldn't even try to bring a modified truck across the border.
In Canada if you want a modded truck buy Oldcolt's.
If you want a stock Canadian truck buy mine. It's got a Canadian VIN, even though I now have a GA title you could just drive it home and register it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back