cal tracs - install help.........

moparracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i got 'em, but have a few questions.....
the instructions are very general, do you remove the stock "traction bar/slapper bar" & install the caltracs basically in place of ?
do you need any extra parts not included in the kit ?
did anyone do an install thread with pics on these ? i couldn't find it.....
how do you "preload" them & what's a good setting for track/street applications ?

thanks in advance, you guys are da best....:rock:

Marty at Boomers pre-loaded mine at 15 Flats...in his terms that means 15 flat surfaces on the adjusting nut past the point where contact is made on the top of the spring.

moparracing said:
ok, i got 'em, but have a few questions.....
the instructions are very general, do you remove the stock "traction bar/slapper bar" & install the caltracs basically in place of ?
do you need any extra parts not included in the kit ?
did anyone do an install thread with pics on these ? i couldn't find it.....
how do you "preload" them & what's a good setting for track/street applications ?

thanks in advance, you guys are da best....:rock:

you know you need a press for the leaf springs right...?.....after that it is easy...

As far as preload....

per Calvert racing...you leave them un-loaded for street...you should be able to slide a business card between the Caltrac and the leaf....to get them perfect...you should be in the driver's seat while someone adjust them for you...

For track I preload them ONE FULL turn past contact....

Nowwhat said:
you know you need a press for the leaf springs right...?.....after that it is easy...

As far as preload....

per Calvert racing...you leave them un-loaded for street...you should be able to slide a business card between the Caltrac and the leaf....to get them perfect...you should be in the driver's seat while someone adjust them for you...

For track I preload them ONE FULL turn past contact....
the instuctions say i will need to press in a new front bushing on the front of the leaf springs, is that what you mean ?
do you remove the stock "traction bar/slapper bar" & install the caltracs basically in place of ?

moparracing said:
the instuctions say i will need to press in a new front bushing on the front of the leaf springs, is that what you mean ?
do you remove the stock "traction bar/slapper bar" & install the caltracs basically in place of ?

yessir remove the slapper bar:rock:

moparracing said:
thanks, stinker........

now when you pre-load, are you pulling the caltrac together or pushing it apart ??

Pushing it apart..

the install is pretty easy,well most of it:D
the only bad thing is the front bushing, and actually if ya look at both sides, its pressed in from one side, I actually took a big fookin hammer (12lb) and knocked it right out:D but a press is tons easier.
but I adjusted mine down untill it touched on the drivers side and one turn on the pasenger side,.

Oh and when you pull the spring pack apart, be sure to take a couple clamps and clamp the pack together, that way ya get no surprises;)

Stinker said:
Oh and when you pull the spring pack apart, be sure to take a couple clamps and clamp the pack together, that way ya get no surprises;)
when i take the spring pack apart ?? i thought i was only removing the "u" bolt axle plate & replacing it with the caltrac plate (& removing the slapper bar), then doing the bushing thing on the front end of the spring & installing the front of the caltrac --- not separating the leafs in the spring ?:confused:

guys : pics would help a ton..........

Last edited:
After removing the spring packs from the truck the 'slapper leaf' is removed. after the new solid aluminum bushing is in place(USE ANTISEIZE ON THE BUSHING) you will need to use the supplied bolt that makes up for the spring pack pin......

HaulinAsp said:
After removing the spring packs from the truck the 'slapper leaf' is removed. after the new solid aluminum bushing is in place(USE ANTISEIZE ON THE BUSHING) you will need to use the supplied bolt that makes up for the spring pack pin......
not sure i completely understand ? what do you mean ?

By spring pack he means the entire spring assembly. You put some clamps on so when you remove the center bolt the whole thing doesnt come apart. The heavy slapper bar is removed . The new bol that is supplied is used to holt the spring pack together. You might have slightly enlarge the hole in the axle housing to recieve the head of this bolt

Yes, remove the slapper bar from each side.

Do not take the rest of the leaf spings pack apart as you will need to put htem back together and is as bitch if they are completly separated.

You do need the new shorter center bolt (provided) that goes through the spring pack.

The front bushings need to be pressed or burned out with a torch. Also need to take out the aluminum sleeve. Those can be taken out with a chisel and a hammer. (you can make this step easier with a sawsall)

You do need a press to get the aluminum bushings pressed into place. Dont try and beat them in with a hammer....

Like Mike said, adjust the Caltracs until they just touch the leaf spring. Then go one full turn for preload. I keep mine preloaded all the time and love it.

nycstev said:
By spring pack he means the entire spring assembly. You put some clamps on so when you remove the center bolt the whole thing doesnt come apart. The heavy slapper bar is removed . The new bolt that is supplied is used to holt the spring pack together. You might have slightly enlarge the hole in the axle housing to recieve the head of this bolt
this bolt goes thru the center of the spring leafs to line them up with the hole in the axle housing ?

mmmmtorque said:
Yes, remove the slapper bar from each side.

Do not take the rest of the leaf spings pack apart as you will need to put htem back together and is as bitch if they are completly separated.

You do need the new shorter center bolt (provided) that goes through the spring pack.

The front bushings need to be pressed or burned out with a torch. Also need to take out the aluminum sleeve. Those can be taken out with a chisel and a hammer. (you can make this step easier with a sawsall)

You do need a press to get the aluminum bushings pressed into place. Dont try and beat them in with a hammer....

Like Mike said, adjust the Caltracs until they just touch the leaf spring. Then go one full turn for preload. I keep mine preloaded all the time and love it.

i've atached some pics of what i received (part's for one side of truck shown), i did not receive a new shorter center bolt to replace the longer one that's aligning the slapper bar that i am to remove ?:dontknow:

also, when i remove that stock front bushing, there's an outer aluminum sleeve that needs removal too ??

then i'm suppose to press in the new aluminum bushing (with anti-seize) along with the new inner sleeve & stock bolt ?

sorry for all the questions, i just want to do it right one time.... it seems i didn't get all the parts according to mmmmtorque.......:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN1460.JPG
    DSCN1460.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN1464.JPG
    DSCN1464.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCN1465.JPG
    DSCN1465.JPG
    431.2 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN1466.JPG
    DSCN1466.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 209
Sorry to bust in but, If you will put the aluminum bushings in the Freezer the night before you start, they will shrink to where you can install them by lightly tapping them in with a block of wood and a hammer. Removing the stock front bushing will be a bitch without a press and the proper size drift but it can be done if you get mad 'nuff.

If you are on AOL then I.M. the name CALTRACS, he is the tech guy at Calvert Racing Products. He will help ya with the missing pieces....

HaulinAsp said:
If you are on AOL then I.M. the name CALTRACS, he is the tech guy at Calvert Racing Products. He will help ya with the missing pieces....
from what you see in the pics, is the new shorter center bolts all i'm missing ?

thanks.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back