California C.A.R.B. certified performance add-ons

metalme2

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a supercharger or turbo set up that is approved in California for a 2006 SRT-10... having very little luck. I sent to arb.ca.gov and it seems the NOVI 2000 is not rated for 2006 trucks.. Anyone have any luck or am I stuck with basic power adds?

If you check the Paxton site they state that their kits are Not smog legal in the Kingdom Of Cali. Pretty much everything is illegal here. The only headers are Gibson and Bassani shorty units and Technically they are only legal on the 04-05 trucks. But Hey we can still Legally put a K&N in there!!

Well that is lame now isn't it.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't see what is involved in getting performance parts registered with C.A.R.B. and start a movement for more Ram SRT-10 approvals...this is ridiculous.

So yeah, at the moment then it seems for us the only things we can do is:

-Approved high-flow cats
-New O2 sensors
-Tuner (since we can return to stock at time of SMOG and drive around a while with it feeling like shit until you pass)
-intake kit
-better plugs, wires and coils
-updated TB?
-change out the TPS, Governor Solenoid and other worn sensors

I'm leaving stuff off due to lack of more research and time at the moment but that sucks that we can't have a turbo or SC...

Alternative is... install it.. and remove it every time smog is coming up...then put it back on... that doesn't sound fun to keep doing...and makes me worry that the bolt locations would prematurely wear out after a few times of doing that... but I'm going to check to see how often I need to smog

Thanks man

Jason

Looks like if the vehicle is (6) or less years old, then it gets a six year grace period on smog.. then after that, it's every two years

Probably because ARB doesn't care and hasn't updated their aftermarket exceptions list since 2010...

I think it might be about who has the money to throw at them combined with who bitches the most about getting approvals.

If the emissions are within spec...why the hell isn't it just automatically legal... stupid visual inspection is a pain.

Why would you be able to have a Paxton on a 04 05 but not an 06?

My post was addressing the headers not the Paxton. But if you look at the Paxton Web Site You will see that they make kits for the 04-05 RC and for the 04-06 QC.

Supercharger Systems | Paxton Superchargers

As for the why OK on some but not others it has to do with Dodge stopping production of our trucks mid year in 06 and the vendors saying "Why should we pay money to California and go through the hassle of certification for just a hand full of trucks?"

I'm going to dig a little deeper into this and report back once I have anything good to tell.. not feeling very optimistic that I will though.

From what I have found doing research since I had planned on building my motor and throwing a ProCharger on it; K&N drop in for the stock intake, catback exhaust, and a few of the shorty headers are the only real "legal" performance mods for Cali. Supposedly the Volant CAI is CARB certified but when I called Volant they said the regular Ram 1500 Volant had a CARB certification but not the one for the SRT-10.

Alternative is... install it.. and remove it every time smog is coming up...then put it back on... that doesn't sound fun to keep doing...and makes me worry that the bolt locations would prematurely wear out after a few times of doing that...

As for doing this, I have this same problem with my wing. I remove it quite a bit hauling my race bikes around and now have a broken receptacle on my wing because I constantly remove and re-install it.

You can do things like that as long as they can not Visually see it. Also it helps if you deal with the same smog shop on a regular basis. I have Gibson's on my 06 which are "Technically" only legal on the 04-05 and my guy lets it slid because it doesn’t mean crap and the numbers are all 0 on my test results. Besides, then you can place the CARB sticker for the headers over the manufactures name on the TB. Not that I would Ever do a thing like that.

Besides, then you can place the CARB sticker for the headers over the manufactures name on the TB. Not that I would Ever do a thing like that.

Not that I would do anything like that either but I may have a VTR badge covering the JTSVP on my throttle body.

What's it take to pass emmisions down there? Sniffer test, visual inspection, OBD scan...? Knowing what you have to get around would help with ideas. One thing I know is a place you can order fake cats that are just straight pipe desguised as cats, frozenboost.com then click exhaust parts on the left. Look for AllFlow Non Catalytic Converter, they're about 40 bucks each. You could use them in place of your rear cats and pass all three tests I listed above.

Last edited:
We get ALL of the above test. Part of the Visual is an inspection of your cats, Are they there? If so have they been changed? If they have been changed do they meet the CARB requirments? Acording to the CARB requuirments the replacment cats must be OEM or meet CARB requirments. Part of that requirment states that the cat must be within a certine distance of where it was placed by the car manufacturer and:

The body should be clearly labeled with the following:
A.R.B.- EO Number: (example: D-193-88)
Part Number: (example: 34015)
Date Code: (example: 0109)
Directional Flow Arrow
1/2" Tall Numbers
Must Be Visible From 5ft. Away

This is the Crap we have to deal with.

MagnaFlow Exhaust - Catalytic Converters

We get ALL of the above test. Part of the Visual is an inspection of your cats, Are they there? If so have they been changed? If they have been changed do they meet the CARB requirments? Acording to the CARB requuirments the replacment cats must be OEM or meet CARB requirments. Part of that requirment states that the cat must be within a certine distance of where it was placed by the car manufacturer and:

The body should be clearly labeled with the following:
A.R.B.- EO Number: (example: D-193-88)
Part Number: (example: 34015)
Date Code: (example: 0109)
Directional Flow Arrow
1/2" Tall Numbers
Must Be Visible From 5ft. Away

This is the Crap we have to deal with.

MagnaFlow Exhaust - Catalytic Converters

Move bros! Southern Oregon is nice I promise.

Yeah I used to live in Florence, OR and Eugene... and my Mom still lives in John Day.. nice country for sure

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back