Caliper locked up

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was coming back from San Antonio with my wife (marriage retreat through work) and my truck started shaking. And i could smell my brakes. I pulled over and smelled around it was my passanger side front. Put it in reverse because I had heard of people doing that on here. It worked i got back on the free way tried to slow it was ok then it started again. So I drove back to New Branfels to firestone. Put it up on the rack had the guy push the pistons in and then press the brake did it a few times and off i went to at least get home. What should i do next. Can i get them rebuilt if needed or do i need to order some new ones.

jsut got home a bit ago from dinner, but all ya really need to do is a rebuild kit, replace the pistons and seals and ya good to go:rock:

gimme a shout tomorrow bud

Where do i go. and how hard is it. Also whats the cost?

I probably have a couple kits at the shop, will have to check if not, a couple days max usually, pretty easy to do, jsut remove the caliper, remove the pistons, and replace, clean inside such, aobut about $85? a side if not mistaken will check in the morning

If i do one caliper should i do them all, or just the fronts or will doing that one be fine. Also any special tools needs?

Happened to mine on 1 side then the other side about 2 months later. I flushed the brake fluid to see if that would help when the 1st one locked up!!! (Recommended by vtcoa members) I use the Valvoline dot4 in mine now. When the 2nd locked up I ordered the front kits from Tony. It's been months now and I still have not installed the kits ... They have not locked up again, But atleast I have the kits just in case.:)

let me know on this guys before monday, I looked I got enough seals for one caliper but only one piston, but can get more orderd and have them probably tuesday

ya i need at least the front right (passanger side)set so that i can do it. I dont want to be out of town and have to do what i did again.

sparksftball69 said:
ya i need at least the front right (passanger side)set so that i can do it. I dont want to be out of town and have to do what i did again.
dont blame ya, its not a hard deal, jsut break the caliper apart, clean it up well, and you should be good to go man

jsut emphasize clean clean clean clean;)

will just replacing the seals and cleaning everything work without replacing the pistons?

sparksftball69 said:
will just replacing the seals and cleaning everything work without replacing the pistons?
usually what happens is the fluid gets some contamination buddy, and then that works it way thru the system and scars the pistons a little , its then that they loose there coating and causes them to stick, so the pistons are the main thing you want to change, its not bad, take the caliper off, put a pieced of wood in between the pistons after you remove the pads, and put some air pressure into the port that the brake line attached to, and be careful it dont take much , and it iwll blow out the pistons so that you can remove them, pretty easy deal, then clean everything thourouly

I would recommend wrapping the caliper in a towel when you blow out the pistons also.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
let me know on this guys before monday, I looked I got enough seals for one caliper but only one piston, but can get more orderd and have them probably tuesday

Shoot me over a PM or e-mail with a price to do all 4 calipers, may not need it but what the hell... can't hurt.

I will have to check on the rear ones, , but the fronts I usually do $84 a side if not mistaken will check on the rear in themorn

Back