caliper piston problem

popstoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how are you doing I attempted to change out my front brake pads today 05rc because of brake squeal during driving.upon compressing pistons i found one on each side wont compress all the way in. my question is are they seized or any way to fix without replacing.has anybody else experience this problem.i only have 25000 miles on it. thanks

Last edited:
Calipers

He Is Right, if They Are Seized REPLACE THEM! I Always Recommend Replacing Both Sides, They Wear But Not Like A Pad.

If You Are using Pliers To Compress Them-DONT! Either Get A Front Caliper Comressor Or Rent One From Your Local Parts Store. I Just Got A New One From Snap on $100, But Worth It, Especially On painted Calipers. What You Can Do is Get Some Penatrating Oil, Like PB Blaster, Spray The Heck Out Of Them, Let Them Soak Overnight, Then Try To Compress Them. BUT. I Repeat- BUT- They Were Locked For A Reason, If They Do Compress, You Need To Think About Putting Them Back On & Having Them Fail Or Not Wear Proper, Which Will Eat Up Your Pads & Rotors. Or The Could Fail And You Might Not Stop Or Have The Spec Stopping Power!!!! When It Comes To These Critical Parts- REPLACE THEM!!!!! I Would Not Want It On My Mind All The Time My Brakes Might Not Work!!! Especially With Possibly Damaging A SRT-10! I Know Its Expensive, but Not As Expensive Of Hitting The Vehicle In Front Of You! :evil:

PM Me If You Have Anymore Q's

popstoy said:
how are you doing I attempted to change out my front brake pads today 05rc because of brake squeal during driving.upon compressing pistons i found one on each side wont compress all the way in. my question is are they seized or any way to fix without replacing.has anybody else experience this problem.i only have 25000 miles on it. thanks

Loosen off the bleed nipple, I had the same issue on 2ea 2005's. You will have to rebleed but the pistion should go back:dontknow:

thewelshm

I had the same problem. They were seized on both sides. The mechanic said it was kind of odd to have plastic components as part of the piston mechanism on performance truck. I didn't know which parts he was referring to but anyway had to replace both front calipers at $200 ea. Lucky for the ext. warranty I got. Sorry for the bad news.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back