Caliper rebuild question....

ViperCLKGTR

Reaction score
Coming into work today I had my driver's side caliper lock-up on me. So looking to order parts to rebuild. No doing some searching I can't find a clear cut answer if you have to replace the pistons or not? Do you?

Coming into work today I had my driver's side caliper lock-up on me. So looking to order parts to rebuild. No doing some searching I can't find a clear cut answer if you have to replace the pistons or not? Do you?

Never done it on our trucks buy on many older trucks and cars and always replace the pistons. Maybe on the newer it is not needed but seems to me that the piston would have a little to do with the seizure. :dontknow:

JTSVP has a rebuild kit for the front calipers

won't hurt to replace the pistons. if the old ones look & check good ya can keep them in res. for when the parts get really hard to find

if your rebuilding them, i would just get new pistons. (for peice of mind) i rebuilt mine last year and it wasent that big of a deal and fairly cheap. i believe the guys from this fourm told me ware to order and with a quick youtube video it was simple. just becareful when taking the pistons out. i used air and a block of wood in between the pistons to get mine out..... but they come out like a rocket depending on how many psi's you put in their.

replace the pistons , the coatings wear and will cause them to stick

clean thoroughly and hone them out well, take them completely apart, wire brush so forth

then completely flush the fluid with new fluid or you are defeating the purpose,

I just rebuilt one of my calipers this week because it was locking up. I would plan on replacing the pistons. One of mine was chipped and two others had heat cracks. You'll probably have to special order a large hex socket if you want to take the two halves apart (I didn't). Not sure on the size but I'm leaning towards 12MM.

Yessir, do pistons and seals. Do it once and be happy. Parts are readily available but getting a good, complete set of pistons takes some time as they often come from Chrysler with damage. They aren't wrapped individually take a beating during shipment if not packaged correctly. ;)

I was going to roll with Centric pieces all around.

Also I know 4-Piston up front but back are 2 or just one? I can't remember

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back