Camshaft sensor

1badassram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me find a parts dealer that sells the Camshaft sensor for an 06 ram SRT 10? I've searched high and low at all my local parts stores and non of them carried the sensor. Thanks in advance.

Likely they arent the same due to mounting area. Compare the parts at the store to each other. Cam sensor requires installing at a certain depth to create the gap for sensor to read cam sprocket.

So I can use the same camshaft position sensor off of just a regular 1500 dodge ram?

If you read carefully on the upper left of the o'reillys website, the chosen vehicle for this sensor is a 2006 RAM SRT10 with the v10 engine....

oh and be careful to mount it back to the same exact location. It has a hole-slot where you can adjust how far in it goes and from what i heard if its all the way in it rubs against the timing gear... Can anyone confirm this?

oh and be careful to mount it back to the same exact location. It has a hole-slot where you can adjust how far in it goes and from what i heard if its all the way in it rubs against the timing gear... Can anyone confirm this?

The cam gear is stepped. The sensor must be installed right up against this step when new. When you start the engine, it shaves a millimeter from the cam sensor to set the gap needed to recognize the cam sensor signal. If you install it too deep, it'll shear the end of the magnet inside sensor off and you'll have magnet pieces in your cam cover/chain area.

The cam gear is stepped. The sensor must be installed right up against this step when new. When you start the engine, it shaves a millimeter from the cam sensor to set the gap needed to recognize the cam sensor signal. If you install it too deep, it'll shear the end of the magnet inside sensor off and you'll have magnet pieces in your cam cover/chain area.

ah yes i remember it being stepped. Welp, you knew what i meant ha. so yes, be careful when installing it :)

This is really easy to see after you install the sensor too far and have to pull the pan and front engine cover to get all the pieces of chewed up sensor out of the motor. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Re-installing a used sensor is the tricky one.
There is nothing left on the sensor to shave off. So it is necessary to mount it in exact the same position as it was.
Taking measurements upfront might do the trick ?

Mopar used to have a sacrificial disc stuck to the business end of the sensor. It would but up against a solid part (not a space) of the reluctor wheel. Once you started the engine it would end up in the oil pan (cam) or bell housing (crank). The teacher in Malvern said a few of these stuck to the oil pump pick up would not be a problem.

Re-installing a used sensor is the tricky one.
There is nothing left on the sensor to shave off. So it is necessary to mount it in exact the same position as it was.
Taking measurements upfront might do the trick ?

i agree.. before taking the motor apart i made sure i marked the exact location with a PEN not a marker but a PEN for the best accuracy

image.jpgHope this helps you..

Apply a small amount of engine oil to the sensor o-ring.
A low (step down) and high (step up) area are machined into the camshaft drive gear. The sensor is positioned in the timing gear cover so that a small air gap exists between the face of sensor and the high machined area of cam gear.

Before the sensor is installed, the cam gear may have to be rotated. This is to allow the high machined area (step up) on the gear to be directly in front of the sensor mounting hole opening on the timing gear cover.

Do not install sensor with gear positioned at low area. When the engine is started, the sensor will be broken.

Using a 1/2 in. wide metal ruler, measure the distance from the cam gear to the face of the sensor mounting hole opening on the timing gear cover.
If the dimension is approximately 1–15/32 inches or less, it is OK to install sensor.
If the dimension is approximately 1–5/8 inches or more, the cam gear will have to be rotated.
Attach a socket to the vibration damper mounting bolt and rotate engine until the 1–15/32 inch dimension is attained.
Install the sensor into the timing case/cover with a slight rocking action. Do not twist the sensor into position as damage to the o-ring may result. Push the sensor all the way into the cover until the rib material on the sensor contacts the camshaft gear.
Install the mounting bolt and tighten to 10.7 N·m (95 in. lbs.) torque.
Connect sensor wiring harness to engine harness.
When the engine is started, the rib material will be sheared off the face of sensor. This will automatically set sensor air gap.

Quote: Mopar Connection

Guys, I would like to say thanks for all the help and knowledge that all of you provided me. I was able to find a Camshaft Sensor from a guy by the name of Jon B. He owns viperpartsrack.com, his phone number is (360) 837-3937. Jon is very knowledgeable about SRT 10 parts. He shipped me the camshaft sensor from Washington State to the town that I live in, which is Powder Springs,Georgia and it only took 2 days to arrive at my front door. I searched online for 3 days, and went to all of the parts stores(Napa,advanced,auto zone O'Reillys,) and even went to several Dodge dealerships. He is the only person in the United States that had the camshaft sensor. No Dodge dealer or local parts store carries the camshaft sensor because it has been discontinued.

Last edited:
Great to hear and that we could help! That's what i was told about new main bearings (they were discontinued) till Venomous hooked me up and found out that they still make them just not under the "Viper" Name. I'm sure they still make the sensor, just difficult to track down who and where. either way..Good luck from on now! :rock:

Guys, I would like to say thanks for all the help and knowledge that all of you provided me. I was able to find a Camshaft Sensor from a guy by the name of Jon B. He owns viperpartsrack.com, his phone number is (360) 837-3937. Jon is very knowledgeable about SRT 10 parts. He shipped me the camshaft sensor from Washington State to the town that I live in, which is Powder Springs,Georgia and it only took 2 days to arrive at my front door. I searched online for 3 days, and went to all of the parts stores(Napa,advanced,auto zone O'Reillys,) and even went to several Dodge dealerships. He is the only person in the United States that had the camshaft sensor. No Dodge dealer or local parts store carries the camshaft sensor because it has been discontinued.

I just saw this and I have 3 of them in my personal stock. Sorry

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back