Can these trucks run 87 Octane?

TeamSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont shoot me, i just wanna know if these truck can run 87 Octane.

I read some sites that these truck can run 87, others said they cant run 87. One place says if you got a SCT Tuner than you can run 87.

Does a SCT make the truck run 87? What does that tuner actually do? What is some of the cons (if it can run on 87).

I am not going to race the truck or anything, might hit a drag strip eventually, but that would probably be a once a year type deal(my local drag opens 4pm on Friday Nights and it is packed by 4:01 haha)

I'm sure that a tune can be written for the sct by a tuner... It will run on 87 octane , but not recommended for anything more than an emergency to get it to the gas station for at least 91 octane recommended by the manufacturer..In other words don't do it!!!! You don't want to risk damaging the engine ---Detination can destroy it and cost a lot to fix it.

Can it? Sure... BUT you risk detonation that will tear up your pistons and risk damaging the engine.
Would I have done it? ONLY in an emergency and I would never floor it.

I run mine on 87 when I go out of town and right now that its being used as a pool truck. I don't drive it aggressively when I have the cheaper gas.

i wouldnt ever do it. for the price difference in gas to the price of replacing that engine its sooo just not worth it.

You can get a tune that will allow you to safely run 87 octane. I believe Torrie has one ready to email...the Viper compression ratio is not that high at 9.6......same as the 5.7 Hemi. Chysler recommends 89 octane for best performance with the LX's 5.7 but says 87 is OK to use.....it is all in the tuning.

What are you saving using 87 vs 91/93?........Say you get 12mpg and the difference in cost between 87 and 91/93 is 23 cents (my local price...yours may be different)....you would save $19.17 per 1,000 miles........this could be less if mileage drops from using 87...

Is it worth the savings to you.....:dontknow:.................definitely not to me...

honestly if the you are trying to save a buck going from 91 to 87 octane your best option is to trade the truck in on a little civic or something. when you buy these you have to understand they are not cheap to run no matter how you look at it.

Yes, u can run diesel in a gas motor, just not very long & it would not run very well. The ONLY time I put 87 in mine was when gas was over 4bucks a gallon, & I had AT LEAST 1/2 tank of 91 0r 93 in it. Seriously, if cost of gas IS a determining factor of whether u drive or not, PARK IT!!!

ya could run diesel in a gas engine longer today than a few years back for sure.

its more like a solvent now. used to leave an oily spot. now evaporates & leaves little or no spot.

but upper cylinder lubrication would be improved:D & spark plug folks would like ya:elefant::elefant:

You can get a tune that will allow you to safely run 87 octane. I believe Torrie has one ready to email...the Viper compression ratio is not that high at 9.6......same as the 5.7 Hemi. Chysler recommends 89 octane for best performance with the LX's 5.7 but says 87 is OK to use.....it is all in the tuning.

What are you saving using 87 vs 91/93?........Say you get 12mpg and the difference in cost between 87 and 91/93 is 23 cents (my local price...yours may be different)....you would save $19.17 per 1,000 miles........this could be less if mileage drops from using 87...

Is it worth the savings to you.....:dontknow:.................definitely not to me...

The difference in 91 vs 87 here is around 30 cents, which is no big deal to me these days, i paid $3.99 for my 87 octane truck.

I get rewards points on my grocery card, so i can save from 10 cents to $1.00+ a gal at a certain gas pump :rock:

Like I said i was just curious about 87 in these trucks, i saw some people said it works and others said it doesnt.

To shake it up a bit more, what having the truck tuned to allow 89 gas?

The difference in 91 vs 87 here is around 30 cents, which is no big deal to me these days, i paid $3.99 for my 87 octane truck.

I get rewards points on my grocery card, so i can save from 10 cents to $1.00+ a gal at a certain gas pump :rock:

Like I said i was just curious about 87 in these trucks, i saw some people said it works and others said it doesnt.

To shake it up a bit more, what having the truck tuned to allow 89 gas?

$3.99 for 87??....wow...runs $3.54 here in East TN.....and local grocery store has a 15 cent program......plus many stations run a Friday special on 93 octane...same price as 89 octane....The grocery store also gives the 89 price for 93 on Fridays so I can get 93 for 28 cents less on Fridays..

Your question about the 89 is the same I as I said of the 87 with less savings.....put 91 in it and call it a day...

i wouldnt ever do it. for the price difference in gas to the price of replacing that engine its sooo just not worth it.

This is TRUE....figure it out. Here regular gas is $3.55 for 87 and $3.87 for 93. Lets give a nice round number like 20 gallons, and the differece is $6.40, not a big price to pay for peace of mind.

Sure I ran from Miami to Toronto and back 4800Miles on 87... Just keep the rpm down, dont be racing and its 100%ok...

The higher octane is only needed when flooring it..

Dont listen to all the sheep out there talking about replacing there motor bla bla its all bs.. unless you get your foot into it... The only reason you need higher octane is for Performance Driving or racing around, It will not detonate ever if you are driving it easy.. it is 110% safe to drive it easy...

So use 87 all day long just keep your foot off the floor.. If your in 6th gear low rpm cruising and going up hills when it starts to pull tons of TQ it will detonate so shift down to 5th or the next lowest gear so its not really growling to keep the truck moving and you will be A ok... If you hear ping ping ping get off the gas...

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back