can you identify these pieces of metal found in my Cobra upper intake?

Dave T(BADVENM)

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short story, bought a '94-'96 Mustang Cobra motor to put in my Camaro-Mustang Challenge car...an '86 Mustang. We're limited to 230 rwhp/300 rwtq. Car dynoed very close to the allowable numbers back in May.

First race of the season was later in May, new track was wet from melting snow. Lots of elevation changes with puddles at the bottom of some of the hills. I didnt block off the opening to my K&N cone filter (fender liners removed for weight), thought we ingested water cause the car lost acceleration and responsiveness. There was also a knocking sound around the #7 cylinder.

Anyway, we tear the motor down and my buddy hears some jingeling in the upper intake plenum (we bought the intake off Craigslist). He's able to get the pieces of metal you see in the pics out of it. Whatever was left damaged the #3 and #7 cylinders and pistons. Not sure if directly related but the crank had a crack as well.

Can anyone identify the metal pieces shown? There is some type of stamping on them. Could they be some leftovers from some type of forced induction that went bad? The pieces have some type of green coating on them. So far nobody that I've posted the pics to on a few Mustang forums seems to know what or where they came from. Just thought I'd share and see if someone may happen to know.

Attachments

• metalpics.jpg
    metalpics.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 72
  • motordamage1.jpg
    motordamage1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 65
  • motordamage3.jpg
    motordamage3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 58
  • motordamage5.jpg
    motordamage5.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 51
It could be blower vanes. I know that the ford lightning blowers have a green coating as well as a few aftermarket suppliers.

They rarely go boom but its possible.

What type of metal is it? Aluminum? Aircraft aluminum has a green coating on it to keep it from corroding. How it got there is another story.

The pieces you see are metal as a magnet picked them up. There were some pieces of aluminum as well, likely from the pistons I guess. There were a few others that suggested they came from some type of forced induction system that went bad. Never thought to look or anything of the sort before putting the intake on. Car ran fine on the dyno, the movement of the car during the first race must have been enough to loosen some of the metal out of the intake and into the motor.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back