Cat delete vs midpipes / no cats

Get Bit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I have been searching with some luck however, I would like to delete the cats all together to make it louder and for the HP gains that I have been seeing. I already have the Magnaflow cat-back, we do not have emissions so removing / gutting the cats is not an issue.

So, with that being said, will there be much if any HP and loudness difference between gutting the cats versus just removing them and installing cat-less mids? If I go with a common cat-less mid setup, what are the struggles if any that you have had installing them and getting them to fit with the stock manifolds and the magnaflow?

All opinions appreciated.

thanks!

On my RC the mids are cut apart and gutted then rewelded, got a little louder but the turbos keep it quiet so not much help there.

on the QC went with catless mids, not bad under cruise, but inder wot sounds like a nascar, fit was good , but have the long tubes also.

My .02 would be go with the catless mids.I have read that the gutted cats cause turbulence and that makes sense to me.The catless pipes should have a smoother flow and give you about 15-20 HP.Sounds MUCH better,but it is definitely louder.Much deeper tone,too. Gary's are nice and I have them and JMB Justin's are even nicer.Either will work well.

Forgot to add that I went 3" all the way and had to modify my MagnaFlow.I got an early set and they took a bit of fitting to get hooked up.All the issues have been worked out now,I believe.The bolts holding the original pipes on are a PITA to get off !!! I think everyone is using mechanical sims now also.Cheaper and easier than the electronic 'thingies' I had to put in.

Last edited:
The stock mids have about 80 bends in them (being highly exaggerative and sarcastic ;) ) and are 2 5/8" ID.

Go with a set of 3" mids and you will have a much cleaner, powerful and better sounding truck :D

I have an 05 QC and put Boomer's catless mids and magnaflow catback on, Stinker's right under WOT it is loud and the neighbors hate it but I guess thats an added benefit........I Thought it was too loud but got used to it and really like it now.

Justin used my truck to make sure all the midpipes fitted right, let me tell you the fit and finish is perfect!! They sound quiet until around 2500 rpm then after that it sounds like a nascar under wot. They look good, work great and come with defoulers/sims. Oh yeah and there on sale this month on his website.:D

Get Bit said:
Guys,

I have been searching with some luck however, I would like to delete the cats all together to make it louder and for the HP gains that I have been seeing. I already have the Magnaflow cat-back, we do not have emissions so removing / gutting the cats is not an issue.

So, with that being said, will there be much if any HP and loudness difference between gutting the cats versus just removing them and installing cat-less mids? If I go with a common cat-less mid setup, what are the struggles if any that you have had installing them and getting them to fit with the stock manifolds and the magnaflow?

All opinions appreciated.

thanks!

Here is what it will sound like....at the end of the vid is from outside rear.
I have Long tube,mid's w/sim's & magnaflow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kpSqPhmTSc

Thanks for the opinion guys, I like the currnent sound of my truck, I just do not want it to sound too much like a pissed UPS truck :)

Will look for Justin's website.

If you dont mind a loud truck.................its the best freaking cheap HP mod out there period!!!! Throttle response is so sensitive, you will love it. Trucks tone is very deep and nasty. Over 3k ........Nascar is a good example.:rock: :)

I paid somebody to instal mine..........didnt want to fight those bolts.

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back