Catch Can Removal Help

BadCompany9119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First i just wanted to say thanks to Justin ordered my cai and catch can about 2 weeks ago and got it a few days later, everything works great so far.

I've had it on for around a week and i went to empty the catch can today, and the bolt holding the can to the shield will not come off. I got it off almost all the way now but it won't budge at all anymore. I can't even get the little nut to go back on either so my can is just hanging there now. I read some of the older posts in here and saw members say that's how they emptied it, by removing it from the shield. Was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong and I'm not supposed to empty it that way.:dontknow:

I pull the filter off the top and suck it out with a syphon. Works great, I mostly get water and a touch of oil out of it. Empty it about every 3-4 weeks.

Jim

i didnt know you had to take it off to drain it.....i put shop towels undreneath it and open the pepcock somtimes i stick a lil piece of wire in the pep cock to get it to drain then i spray the inside with starting fluid or whatever is handy if you want me to make a video i can then ill post it on youtube

Yea done fighting with that little bolt for tonight I'll try again tomorrow morning. If i can't get it off then I'm just gonna cut the bolt and get a new one.

mounted mine on the outside of the heat shield....no problems draining it:D look at my sig pic

Empted mine last week,the bolt has a hex head I think its a 3/4 you can slip it in between the filter and the can,then the nut will come off.

Brat said:
Empted mine last week,the bolt has a hex head I think its a 3/4 you can slip it in between the filter and the can,then the nut will come off.

That's what i did just the bolt decided it did not wanna come off without a fight. I'll try again tomorrow, if i can't get it I'll just cut it and get a new one. Doesn't help all i have is the L shaped allen keys trying to hold that with pliers and turn a wrench on the other side is fun.

BadCompany9119 said:
That's what i did just the bolt decided it did not wanna come off without a fight. I'll try again tomorrow, if i can't get it I'll just cut it and get a new one. Doesn't help all i have is the L shaped allen keys trying to hold that with pliers and turn a wrench on the other side is fun.
It mush be stripped,I had no problem was able to hold th allen key with my fingers and it loosened right up.

SANCHOBA said:
mounted mine on the outside of the heat shield....no problems draining it:D look at my sig pic
That is what I did also.:rock: :rock:

IMG_0098.jpg

Last edited:
I never have to drain mine really, its been on the truck for 2 years now and ive only drained it once or twice...is that strange?

Yea i decided to check mine just too see if it got any in it and it is almost full after only driving maybe 75 or so miles.

FastSRT19 said:
I never have to drain mine really, its been on the truck for 2 years now and ive only drained it once or twice...is that strange?
Mine has been on for two years also,drained it and only got a couple of teaspoons of water out of it.

BadCompany9119 said:
Yea i decided to check mine just too see if it got any in it and it is almost full after only driving maybe 75 or so miles.

Wow! I had about half can after 1000 miles and a few drips the second time...and i just checked it now, its dry as a bone! I believe i read here that its not abnormal to have a dry catch can though...

FastSRT19 said:
Wow! I had about half can after 1000 miles and a few drips the second time...and i just checked it now, its dry as a bone! I believe i read here that its not abnormal to have a dry catch can though...
You are correct sir.:rock:

FastSRT19 said:

I wont have a teaspoon in a month...

BadCompany9119 said:

Take off the breather, then you can get a straight shot at the bolt with the allen wrench.

Got it off finally the little bolt snapped in half, searching for one to fit in there now. Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back