Challenger SRT-8 510 HP?

Posted today? Wow. Someone needs to Google a little.

It was announced at the Mopar Nationals that the Challenger will go on sale April 19th, 2007. The first 100 will be SRT-8 models.

He might want to check the vision too. The project was green-lighted ages ago.

I'm not a car blog site owner and I know this. Try to keep up, fellas.

Yes - I was thinking the same thing. The green light has long been given.

I'd take those 500+ ponies in the Challenger, but isn't the max available from the current factory Hemis at 425?

Shit, on sale this coming April?? Damn. I want one bad but don't want to get rid of the truck. Already have 4 vehicles(plus 4 motorcycles) and only a 3 stall garage.

SRT 8 550HP

I believe that Mopar already has a 6.4 Hemi crate motor, setup for either carb or FI,500-510HP.
Bill

1Fast400 said:
Just know that it is very easy to make a 426ci hemi from the 6.1 and same goes for the 5.7 going to a 392. I know INDY just made 550hp from a 426hemi made from a 61. motor. That was just on the first dyno pull.
Oh, I'm well aware of the capabilities of 5.7 & 6.1 beyond stock. I'm talking about what's actually being done internal to DC (R&D) or available @dealership retail.

I haven't heard of any current internal prototype hemi pumping out 500hp within the walls of DC. And the baddest retail available is the SRT-8 hemi @425hp.

I know folks at Indy, XVM, GSM and Hennessy et al are doing plenty with these engines post-retail. I was speaking specificly to DC's factory offerings or internal future prototyping.

It was only last year's model (2005) that DC introduced the 6.1, wasn't it?

Another source quoting a 6.6L Hemi:
"DaimlerChrysler is working on a 6.6-liter Hemi V8 for the forthcoming 2008/2009 Dodge Challenger, according to Hemmings Motor News."

Last edited:
I have a feeling that we are going to see the same powertrain options for this car as for all the other SRT models and the regular Hemi models. I figure the body style is really going to be selling the car. At least for the first year. They might have to step it up some if the Camaro comes out with 500+. Actually though, I hope I am wrong and they come out with a screamer right off the bat.

At the Detroit auto show Mopar performance had a 392 ci new style hemi advertized at 510 HP.

Bill.

Right - apparently there is a 6.4L! It was unveiled at SEMA late in 2005.

thehemi.com:
http://www.thehemi.com/news.php?id=20060228-1

From forum elsewhere:
"Well I read in last months Hot Rod Mag that the 6.4L already makes more HP/Liter then the new Z06 motor(LS7). Hot Rod just ordered a crate 6.4L for some dyno testing."

Allpar.com:
"The 6.4 liter version, at a historic 392 cubic inches, due in 2008 with the Dodge Challenger, does the SRT-8 one better, and we'd like to know how since the extra size isn't all that much. It generates a full 505 horsepower. Because it’s a crate engine for racing only, it’s quite possible that some sacrifices made for gas mileage and emissions reduction in even the SRT-8 version (6.1 liters, created in mid-2005, and not using multiple diplacement) have been removed. However, this is a race-only engine, and is not emissions legal or necessarily even practical for street use."

automobile.com:
"But when it comes to market, DCX might up the ante in SRT8 form by dropping in its latest HEMI creation, a 510+hp 6.4-liter (392 cu-in) HEMI V8 which was recently displayed at the SEMA motor show in a 1970 Challenger R/T Convertible, no less. These two combinations show that DCX is in tune with North American car enthusiasts, and as usual will most likely commit the Challenger concept, 6.4-liter HEMI upgrade or not, to production."

20060228-1_1.gif

Last edited:
1Fast400 said:
My point was that with nothing special, they were able to make 550hp. I could easily see mopar putting 500 down via an altered 6.1
And you're quite right. Apparently they already have! As usual, I'm late to the supper table...:eek:

Last edited:
That car is sweet. I have said it time and time again, I wish i was rich. Dam i would have the whole srt line.

Some cool concept pics compared to the way they actually were produced. I think the charger would have sold alot better had it looked like the pics posted here. The AAR looks awesome too. ;)

TREKER said:
Some cool concept pics compared to the way they actually were produced. I think the charger would have sold alot better had it looked like the pics posted here. The AAR looks awesome too. ;)

LAME!! You just wanted to bring up some buried thread to make everyone initialy think Roktman was back..:D

This thread made like Jesus and resurrected........:marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back