Change Transmission and Diff Fluid

DRamSrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I did try to search, but I couldn't find any good information. Can someone tell me how to change the fluid for my transmission and diff? Which kind of the fluid should I use? Thanks.

I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the tranny. The drain plug is mounted on the side of the tranny. Easiest way to fill it is to pull off the shifter in the truck. There is also a fill plug at the top of the tranny underneath. Fill from the shifter until fluid comes out at the fill plug.

As far as the Diff. goes you have to pull the bolts that hold the cover on to drain it. You will then need to reseal it and fill from the fill plug located on the Diff. on the other side of the cover.

Hey Dominick. How are you doing? I would like to hang out with you someday again. Thanks for the information. I will look at it tomorrow afternoon. Do you have any pictures so I can see what you are talking about.

How much gallons does the transmission and diff hold?

Im good, Ive been working alot.

Dont have any pictures, sorry

Pick up 6 Quarts for the tranny, I think it needs 4.
For the Diff, pick up 3 Quarts.

It's ok man. Again, thanks for the information. I am doing good too. I am still looking for a job at any dealership. The school is fine. Also which kind of the fluid should I use for the diff? Thanks.

Maybe someone have the pictures? If so, please post it up. :)

Last edited:
DRamSrt10 said:
It's ok man. Again, thanks for the information. I am doing good too. I am still looking for a job at any dealership. The school is fine. Also which kind of the fluid should I use for the diff? Thanks.

Maybe someone have the pictures? If so, please post it up. :)
If you renew your membership you can look in the DIY section ;) :D :D :D :p that's why you can't access it

Wifey said:
If you renew your membership you can look in the DIY section ;) :D :D :D :p that's why you can't access it

I know. :( I think I am going to ask my dad to give me the $25 to get a STAR :D

DRamSrt10 said:
I know. :( I think I am going to ask my dad to give me the $25 to get a STAR :D
How you doing Tyler??? :dontknow: :D :D ;)

I am doing good and busy with work and school. I am still looking for an other job at the dealership. I recently have an interview with the toyota dealership. Let hope they would hire me. How are you doing?

DRamSrt10 said:
I am doing good and busy with work and school. I am still looking for an other job at the dealership. I recently have an interview with the toyota dealership. Let hope they would hire me. How are you doing?
Still looking for work also :( Had an interview today, have one tomorrow and then I'm off to the unemployment office on Monday to see what they have in the way of re-training programs to extend my benefits. No work in the Escrow business out here :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah I understand. Good luck with your search for the job. My school have the employment service office and they helped me a lot with the resume, classes grades and list of the jobs available.

BTW: Just talked to Patrick. I am going to mail him the $24 money order for a supporting membership. :elefant:

DRamSrt10 said:
Yeah I understand. Good luck with your search for the job. My school have the employment service office and they helped me a lot with the resume, classes grades and list of the jobs available.

BTW: Just talked to Patrick. I am going to mail him the $24 money order for a supporting membership. :elefant:
He owes me now ;) ;) ;) :rock:

Tyler I used Lucas 85w 140 gear oil, 3 quarts. You also need 8 oz of the friction modifier. I used the one Napa sells, Equa Torque.

You do not need to take off the entire plate to change. There is a drain plug and a filler plug. Use some silicone thread bead stuff for the plugs when re installing.

Its easy dude................did mine about 2 weeks ago.

patrick

Hey guys. I went to Wal-mart and Autozone to buy the fluid for my transmission and diff. The stores don't it at all. I want to buy the 6 guarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for the transmission. I am not sure which fluid should i get for the diff? Also what is the 8oz of friction modified? What is the brand is it and what is it for? Thanks.

Here ya go Ty. Friction modifier ( FM ) must be used with limited slip differentials. It is an additive. I used the brand CRC "Equa Torque". You need 8 oz. You pour that in first then fill with the gear oil.

Hope that helps.

patrick

Hey Patrick, is this for diff? Right? Does it have to be 75/90? The transmission is just, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF with no number required. Right?

Bump.... I need to know soon because I need to change the transmission and diff fluid asap. Thanks.

DRamSrt10 said:
Bump.... I need to know soon because I need to change the transmission and diff fluid asap. Thanks.

Go with the 75/90 for the diff. The trans is just synthetic ATF, you can also use Redline D4 ATF if you are going the ATF route.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back