changing plug wires

76574srt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my new plug wires in and am going through the shop manual reading how the R&R the intake and came across this statement.

CAUTION: Care must be taken when removing the
No. nine cylinder inside intake manifold bolt. Failure
to do so may result in personal injury or possible
damage.

What the heck does this mean?

start taking off your manafold and you will find out,,, its a pain in the ass. What I did was get a cheap wrench and bend it to fit in there

76574srt10 said:
Personal injury? Possible damage? to what?

from flying tools, when you get pissed..

i got to mine pretty easy. i used a torx head bit and a couple extensions and took the bolts out by passing the extensions through the gaps in the intake.

Perk, just finished and that's exactly the way I did mine. 1/4 inch drive torx head on and extension and it got them. Changing the wires shouldn't be a big deal, the coils are numbered. Can these intake gaskets be reused, they look pretty good.

Venom Power said:
The whole intake manifold has to be removed to change the wires?

If you have a girl friend with a very long skinny arm and pregnancy testing gloves from a dairy farm she can do it for you...but you will owe her big time and it would be cheaper to pull the intake.

I really need to learn to pull off the intake mixing chamber. If I had the walnuts to do it that thing would have been chromed or powdercoated long ago. DANG!

Last edited:
It wasn't that bad of a job to do. The roughest part was the cabling under the manifold that was attached to it.

Now next question is, how do you get a torque wrench on the outer bolts? The inner bolts you can reach through the runners, but the outers I used a box end wrench and don't see a way to get a torque wrench on it. They're only 8 ft lbs for the final torque so it doesn't require much...

When does the manual say to replace the wires? This is total bs to go through this much for a tune up... :(

Prof said:
Drive it over tomorrow and we will get 'er done!

You're teasing me Prof... I'm in Norway until the 16th so I am SRT-less, AND Houston is too far away from Chica.... HEEEY how about YOU making it to the PCB GTG Prof? You could show me some hands on training there. The other guys will be too busy with hugs, reach arounds and suck and blow games..

Last edited:
Does the DIY section have a topic on this? Messing with torque specs is what makes me nervous. If those specs aren't right or something breaks, like a bolt from over torquing, and a hole has to be drilled and re-threaded, I think... I think I'll just... cry!:(

trq ing the intake bolts is a bit$h, but basically 7-8 ft lbs is jsut snug, if you find a extra bolt set the wrench to 8 ft lbs and get a "feel" for it

then you can jsut tighten them with a wrench

as far as removing the intake, you dont really have to ;)

but its a pain:D

Hey Tony I was going to ask on the Performance Mods thread about the existence of a thread on this topic in the DIY section, but I didn't want to placed unecessary posts on THAT thread. Well, is there one? I didn't see it.

That's a topic that should be there complete with step by step pictures.. Since you ladies say it's ssssooooooo easy.. LOL

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back