Chattering at idle from drivetrain

evanandretti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a new flywheel was put in I sometimes get a chattering or, like metal on metal sound coming threw the gear box. Stops when I put the clutch in. What went wrong on the install? I've heard of this happening just don't know what the fix is. Thanks!

Pull the tranny and have alook around. Input shaft might be chewing up the throwout bearing carrier!

New clutch and rebuild tranny. Everything seemed okay but it was chattering when I let out the clutch. He had resurfaced the flywheel which I read wasn't a good idea. Put in new flywheel and everything was okay except sometimes after driving for a while this will happen. Doesnt happen when the truck has been sitting, just when it's been driven for a while.

Mine does it too, sometimes worse than others and only at idle in neutral. Put the clutch in and it quits and no driving issues.

Mine did the same thing after a long drive when you put slight pressure on the clutch pedal the noise went away. So when i pulled my engine out I checked the release bearing, when I spun it in my hand it made noise that was also cold so I replaced it even though the slave upgrade was only a year old the release bearing was bad. Its easy to replace I got one from napa, I haven't got my truck back together yet so I can't say if the noise is gone or not.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back