Cheap Effective Exhaust

Burkerice07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Over the Past few Days i have been searching for some type of new Exhaust for my Stock SRT-10 2004, but with only 7500 Miles. And all ive come across Are kits that cost something Ungodly like $800.
For gods sake, I am a Poor College student, Why can't i have Loud Exhaust, So i just Strolled over to Advance Auto Parts and picked up 2, 2 1/2 inlet and outlet Thrush Magnum Glass-Pack Mufflers...
And am going to have my local Muffler shop install them for under $50, that a total of $90 spent on a BOOMing Glass-pack Exhaust. I mean really its a V-10 its gonna be like the end of the world back there.

Now this is what concerns me, Why am i the first person to do this, It seems to me like a simple and quick solution to get louder sound and better flow, is this not what everybody would be after???

Why does nobody do this, Am i missing out on something, or am i about to make a Big Mistake???

Last edited:
I have 3" Magnaflows...the stock pipes are 2.75"....paid less than $500.........there is a difference in exhaust not only in performance gains but how it sounds..........BTW..the guy who owned my truck originally put Thrush glass paks on.......sounded like a POS.......but he did install the mufflers backwards..;)

Last edited:
Glass packs huh....we'll see if you like em.

There is nothing wrong with going inexpensive as long at it works. I put straight pipes (instead of mufflers) in mine, and loved the sounds. I left the factory 2.75" and made more HP then most...it all depends on WHERE you want to spend the $$ and how much you have to spend. I saved up and got a blower and (to me) beneficial mods then dropping 2k on a headers back system.

you want inexpensive and (all opinion) sounds fine...straight pipe the muffs, keep the res.

-Red

Glass packs don't typically flow that well; you may lose some HP, even compared to stock. If you want loud just get rid of your muffler and have the shop weld in straight pipes. Want even louder/more power? Cut out your cats and replace with same.

I think these are ghetto mods and may get you pulled over by the law, but should give you cheaper and better results than the Thrush, if you can stand the noise and don't have to pass emissions.

Per TNVIPER above I think the Magnaflow is a pretty good deal; flows well and sounds great. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
I hope it works for ya. JMB is selling a Magnaflow cat back right now for like $350 shipped, FYI.

Burke- I know the sound you're going for, but you won't get it.
Not with a Viper engine.
Sorry man, but you won't be able to get the V-10 to sound like a V-8 with that big loppy thudding.

And get ready to pay more for EVERYTHING. Once folks see that it works on a Viper, prices double....even if it's the same damn part. :)
The nice thing is that we have awesome vendors here that do kickass work and have really nice custom products, many of them made exclusively for our trucks. Again, it's a little more expensive....but just be thankful you didn't buy a Jag.
:D

You might be incurring more expense than you anticipate grasshopper.

If you end up driving a SRT 10 that sounds like a ricer with the drizzling shits, you will be spending more quickly to get rid of that nasty sound.

Kevin is correct. Getting the V10 to sound good is not an easy task. The resonance can be very annoying to you and everyone else.

Good luck, and welcome. I do hope it comes out well for you.

If not, don't trash me on ratemyprofessor.com!

i deleted the cats replaced the stock muffler with magnaflows and done away with the resonator. its not a cam'd up v8 but i can live with it. now the whine up front makes up for it.:D Prof done me in when i heard his at Boomer's

I have been working on something similar myself. I started out by chopping the muffler off completey and doing dumps connected to the mid-pipes. That sounded pretty damn good...but I did not like all the "popping and back-firing" so I ordered two of the dynomax bullet mufflers from Summit Racing. Installed those directly to the midpipes and put the dumps back on. Cleaned up all that "popping" and "back firing" and silenced the volume by a few dB, but I am not sure if I like it. Still sounds wicked as hell at W.O.T !!!!

So this weekend I am going to pull the bullets and dumps back off and mount up straight pipe connecting the mid-pipes to the factory resonator piping and see how that sounds.

Basically it boils down to experimentation. For me, I hated the fact that when you pressed that beautiful red start button, the truck would fire up and was more quiet then a church mouse! Not something people expect from a big ass V10!!! I was embarrassed!

Another option would be to delete the cats and keep the factory muffler before trying the glasspacks.With glasspacks I think you will have a loud truck,but with lots of popping/cackling.It sounds horrible to me(the popping).The MagnaFlow utilizes an internal X pipe which really helps the sound.I have a cross-over pipe in mine to help stop that popping/cackling(basically does the same as X pipe).Without an x-pipe or cross-over you will have an exhaust that sounds like two four-bangers running at the same time.Not as noticeable with a good muffler set-up.

In the end you will have to decide for yourself what sound you like.Nothing wrong with trying something different.;)

That would be two 5 banggers!?! :)

because it is two 5 cylinder engines running on the same crank. Where a v8 is one 8 cylinder engine.

been there done that. works great, however falls very shy of catless mids and the magnaflow. power wise, and soundwise. it is a improvement over stock and does have a nice tone. i had it that way for almost 2 years. you can do it yourself easily. get the 2 mufflers, and 2 2 1/2" x 12" long pieces of pipe. the glasspacks are about 10" shorter than the stock muffler. get yourself 6 2 1/2" clamps as well. it takes about a hour and is very easy. it'll save payiong the shop to do it.

Last edited:
Cutouts are cheap . . . :D

another vote for magnaflow. if you can't afford it, then wait until you can.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back