mrsrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light came on today.

The following codes are present:
P1682
P0420
P0432

Googled and found the first one is low voltage, and the last ones are o2 sensors on exhaust, i think..?

Will i need to replace the sensors and alternator or is it something else?
Drove the car for over 20km without problems so dont think the alternate can be that bad..

No clue :dontknow::dontknow:

Edit: found a sticky on the forum, the last ones just some exhaust values thats of because of the paxton i guess :)

But the p1682 one, low voltage something..
Ideas?

Last edited:
p1682 is charging system voltage too low
p0420 is catalytic converter efficiency.
p0432 is main catalyst efficiency below threshold

The shotgun diagnosis would be an alternator and catalytic converters, but it really should be diagnosed instead of throwing parts at it.

is there anyway i can diagnose the alternator my self..?
Will the catalytic codes have anything to say besides the values on the exhaust?

:dontknow:

If you have a volt meter you can test alternator output. The catalytic codes are set by comparing pre and post cat o2 readings. One thing that can effect those numbers are exhaust leaks near the sensors. I would start there.

is there anyway i can diagnose the alternator my self..?
Will the catalytic codes have anything to say besides the values on the exhaust?

:dontknow:

You can take the alternative off and take it to a parts shop like O'Reily's or somebody and they can test your alternator. Make sure they run it 3 times back to back to back.

I had a bad reman alternator on an old camaro I had that would pass the test the first time so they said it was fine but it kept killing my battery by not charging it. So I told them to run it multiple times and it failed.

Ironically it came from O'Reily and they told me was my car and not there alternator. I made them take that crap thing back and bought a used one off ebay for $10 bucks and it worked flawlessly.

Shade truck alternator test tricks:

Start truck - disconnect one battery terminal. Turn on all lights - high beams. see if it holds the load.

Start truck- put a flat tip screw driver on the center of the backend of the alternator. If it sticks with a magnetic charge its good (use the upper one first, more reliable test)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back