Check Engine Light Come On

DRamSrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey y'all today the check engine light come on so i guess i was just paraniod haha but i am planning on to go to dodge dealership tomorrow, any that i should know to have my engine check? any help would be appreciated

I think if you click the key on and off 3 times, leaving it in the on position the last time (no need to start vehicle) it will display a code on the instrument panel. If you can get that code and post it here. Someone will be able to tell you what it might be. One easy thing to check, is your gas cap on tight? That can throw a code.

DRamSrt10 said:
hey y'all today the check engine light come on so i guess i was just paraniod haha but i am planning on to go to dodge dealership tomorrow, any that i should know to have my engine check? any help would be appreciated

My truck is going in next monday for work im bringing it to Westborough Dodge.

Do u have a dealership u reccomend I dont know if i can trust this dealership.

Dominick572 said:
My truck is going in next monday for work im bringing it to Westborough Dodge.

Do u have a dealership u reccomend I dont know if i can trust this dealership.

i havent go to any dealership yet but i am planning on to go to westborough dealership tomorrow too! but i should have call for an appointment. but i dont know if i will be able to go to there because of bad snow storm tonight. if either of you or me go there first we will let eachother know if they are good enough to be trust.

SilvrSRT10 said:
I think if you click the key on and off 3 times, leaving it in the on position the last time (no need to start vehicle) it will display a code on the instrument panel. If you can get that code and post it here. Someone will be able to tell you what it might be. One easy thing to check, is your gas cap on tight? That can throw a code.

yes i did check my gas cap on tight and it is on tight but the light is still come on and i dont have code reader, i will need buy one when i get one and try what you told me with key then i will post the code thanks!

By the way, the OBD II code system wont turn off the light until 2 successful cycles have been completed without the symptom. A cycle consists of a cold start and reaching closed loop operating mode (145°F) with speed changes (you have to be moving). The same conditions must be met to set the code as well (avoids false alarms).
I guess what I'm saying is that if it was a loose gas cap, you wont know for the next two cycles.

hmmm thanks, i did try gas cap. i tried tight it but it still wont come off so i will still need get a OBD II code system

Have you tried the key-on three times yet ? Will save you a bunch of $$$$$$$$ to use the built in system.Also ,Auto Zone does code reading for FREE.

HOT RAM said:
Have you tried the key-on three times yet ? Will save you a bunch of $$$$$$$$ to use the built in system.Also ,Auto Zone does code reading for FREE.

no i have not try the key-on three times yet because some one said i need code reader to do key-on to find the code? hmm maybe i should go to auto zone first to see what the wrong is then go to dealership?

DRamSrt10 said:
hmmm thanks, i did try gas cap. i tried tight it but it still wont come off so i will still need get a OBD II code system
The OBD II system is already in your truck. It's the onboard diagnostic system that sets the code and turns on the light.

VA VIPERAM said:
The OBD II system is already in your truck. It's the onboard diagnostic system that sets the code and turns on the light.

are you SERIOUS!! WOW i didnt know that!! :D :D :D :D :rock: AWESOME! i guess i will do it tmw with key-on three times because it is pretty bad snow storm outside right now

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back