Choices

Turtle

Reaction score
So I wanted to post this to get some feedback and maybe some insight to another viewpoint that I may have missed. I'm torn with what I should do.

Here's the situation . . .

I recently moved to Michigan (well - about 6 months ago). It took me 2 months to find a job. After a month on the job, I was out for 2 months due to surgery. I was welcomed back with open arms. I am excellent at my job, and both my bosses constantly praise my work. I recently got a promotion and a small raise.

All this would seem like not a bad deal, but here's the thing. I live in a union mentality state and there is a fairly large amount of aminousity towards me just because I am actually doing my job and better than they are willing to do (and yes - I was even asked by the office manager to slow down - I'm setting a unobtainable standard). There is not much I can do about but put up with it. If I bring it up to the boss, then he will say something to the others and it will only make it worse for me.

On top of that - I am only making HALF of what I did when I lived in Florida, and my job does not offer any health insurance.

I have continously submitted resumes looking for something better, but jobs are not in abundance now a days.

Well, just today I was notified of an opportunity and I'm not quite sure which direction to move. I got called for a job interview - an interesting position . . . it's only administrative assistant, but for a company called FisherBioServices

"Fisher BioServices is the world leader in biological specimen management, supporting all sectors of the life sciences industry including: Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Academia and Government. Globally, we provide customized, turn-key solutions for specimen kit assembly and collection, lab processing and repository services to help ensure our customers’ success."

The job would be consist of doing a lot of what I've already done through my past years, but would also help assist in a scientific field. It would be a great position to jump into the science field. I was told that there is a possibility that the position could grow into a full time position.

(I'm going to school for Environmental Science)

Big issue . . . the new position is currently only part time. I would be making a little less than what I make now. I could always get another part time job to supplement what I may not be making.

SO . . .

Do I stay at the job that is full time but does not make me happy or do I pursue a part time job that may be more in the field I'm looking for in my future?

If any one has an opinion - I'm open to hear it all. Or if anyone knows anything about FisherBioServices - please fill me in.

thanks!

Turtle said:
So I wanted to post this to get some feedback and maybe some insight to another viewpoint that I may have missed. I'm torn with what I should do.

Here's the situation . . .

I recently moved to Michigan (well - about 6 months ago). It took me 2 months to find a job. After a month on the job, I was out for 2 months due to surgery. I was welcomed back with open arms. I am excellent at my job, and both my bosses constantly praise my work. I recently got a promotion and a small raise.

All this would seem like not a bad deal, but here's the thing. I live in a union mentality state and there is a fairly large amount of aminousity towards me just because I am actually doing my job and better than they are willing to do (and yes - I was even asked by the office manager to slow down - I'm setting a unobtainable standard). There is not much I can do about but put up with it. If I bring it up to the boss, then he will say something to the others and it will only make it worse for me.

On top of that - I am only making HALF of what I did when I lived in Florida, and my job does not offer any health insurance.

I have continously submitted resumes looking for something better, but jobs are not in abundance now a days.

Well, just today I was notified of an opportunity and I'm not quite sure which direction to move. I got called for a job interview - an interesting position . . . it's only administrative assistant, but for a company called FisherBioServices

"Fisher BioServices is the world leader in biological specimen management, supporting all sectors of the life sciences industry including: Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Academia and Government. Globally, we provide customized, turn-key solutions for specimen kit assembly and collection, lab processing and repository services to help ensure our customers’ success."

The job would be consist of doing a lot of what I've already done through my past years, but would also help assist in a scientific field. It would be a great position to jump into the science field. I was told that there is a possibility that the position could grow into a full time position.

(I'm going to school for Environmental Science)

Big issue . . . the new position is currently only part time. I would be making a little less than what I make now. I could always get another part time job to supplement what I may not be making.

SO . . .

Do I stay at the job that is full time but does not make me happy or do I pursue a part time job that may be more in the field I'm looking for in my future?

If any one has an opinion - I'm open to hear it all. Or if anyone knows anything about FisherBioServices - please fill me in.

thanks!
I've always been taught to do something now that will make me happy in five years. ;)

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the tree".... ;)

...... You are going to be hard pressed to find a job up there without something UNION f*cking it up. It's one of my major gripes about Michigan (that and the TAXES). It's a tough decision for sure.... but, with the current economic situation (magnified 10X in Michigan), if your company you work for now is stable you should stay.

:dontknow: :eek:

Black1 said:
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the tree".... ;)

...... You are going to be hard pressed to find a job up there without something UNION f*cking it up. It's one of my major gripes about Michigan (that and the TAXES). It's a tough decision for sure.... but, with the current economic situation (magnified 10X in Michigan), if your company you work for now is stable you should stay.

:dontknow: :eek:
It goes A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,sorry just bustin your chopps Jake.:D :p :eek: ;)

If it is making you miserable even when your not there, you also said the pay decrease wasnt much but room for more opportunity. Sometimes we cant let money dictate our lives, plus if your good at what you do, From experiance you will always be able to get a job even though it may not be the big bucks at first. Thats just me, and I am like you when I am at work I am being paid to do a job so I am good at what I do, no shame in that. Life is too short to be miserable at a place where you spend more then half your life at. Thats is just me though, I stick to this philosophy "I work to live not live to work" I know it's old but it's true. Good luck with what ever decision you decide to make and I hope things work out for you.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put in 40 hours a week working where I am miserable.

Do what motivates and inspires you.

Don't pass up opportunities,

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these ; It Might Have Been."

Do it Girl, make yourself happy. My stomach has been bothering me, can I send you a stool sample??:D :D

Don't step over dollars to pick up penny's.

Opportunity = risk

With that said, Bill would be your best source of inspiration and guidance.

With that said, can you do what you do now for the next 5 years knowing what you know now and knowing it may get a lot worse before it gets better.

Alex, ....... sometimes you need to stop what your doing and do what you were meant to do.

Your Friend,

Jeff

One thing you didn't mention about the new job was benefits. You said the current job has no medical, that's a very big issue. If the new one provides a chance at medical and other goodies, something to think about.

But to work at a place you hate, is the wrong thing to be doing. If you like what you do for a living, then you never have to work again, cause it ain't work, it's fun.

Brutally tough call.........

Sounds to me as if it's only a decision that you and Bill can make together. If making a choice splits you apart then I would preserve your relationship with Billy, of course...

Jake seems to have some specific insight into the region and it's work environment.... and it's hard to argue with his input..... The question is whether or not the job being offered has a real future or not.... Nothing is guaranteed and even the so called "dream job" could contain variables that perhaps you haven't even considered yet.... There are (as of yet) no promises.

If possible, an employment contract might serve to offer the promise of fulfilling your dream job at a later date... other than that, you have no assurances. Everything is subject to change...

Nobody can make this decision for you, but between you, Billy and few nights sleep, your gut will begin telling you which job gives you that "go" feeling and which one doesn't.....

I'm sure that whatever decision you make, that it'll be the right one.... Sometimes what we thought was a wrong decision ends up serving it's purpose for your life at exactly the proper time and place... Then the timing for whatever is next will be provided for as well....

Be happy and make your joint decision without regret.... You'll be fine.

God bless you both....

D

Last edited:
one thing my dad always says...

one thing that will never change is that things change.

now, i'm the first person to tell you, if you're unhappy with your job...you won't be happy later, either...

you said the "part time" job pay is only a little less than your full time job...are we talkin enough to support yourselves?...or barely enough to pay the light bill? plus will there be any benefits?...

i personally would rather make less money and be happy and in love with my wife, than make a million dollars and never be able to crack a smile...

viperhauler said:
i personally would rather make less money and be happy and in love with my wife, than make a million dollars and never be able to crack a smile...

This fkn guy is really starting to grow on me....:congrats:

D

Brat said:
It goes A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,sorry just bustin your chopps Jake.:D :p :eek: ;)

I know it is, my friend.... ;) I just didn't want anyone of these adolescent cocks to tag on the word "bush".... :argh: :dontknow: :eek: Thanks for the correction tho, I kinda figured I'd get it....

Alex, don't let ANYONE slow you down. Any employer should be greatful for a competent and hard worker. As far as swithching jobs....where would you like to be in 5 years? The answer to that question will point you out in the "right" direction. I'm still prayin' for ya girl.:willy: (<---the worker bee)
Dawn

thanks d and jake...

i've told my wife before...it's more than making less money than i said before...

"i'd rather be living in a box, and be in love than be a ....."

but i thought that a bit extreme....to post as an example...

but i still believe it true

I have always felt that it does not matter how much I'm paid, if I don't like what I'm doing it's not worth it.

There has been a lot of good advice given here, but in the end it come's down to what you and Billy decide is best for both of you. Look to the future, not today.

Good luck kid.

Alex, I can tell you from personal experience that it is much more valuable to enjoy your work than it is to have a few extra dollars in your pocket.

The caveat to that is that you do have to make ends meet. So, if you and Bill are able to make the bills with the part time job, and he supports you, (I have no doubt he does) then do what will make you happy.

Viperhauler is right....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back